We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hurricane Irma

long island
Level Contributor
301 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Hurricane Irma

Wondering how Guadeloupe was affected by Irma.

Any news?

14 replies to this topic
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
763 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hurricane Irma

My friends there say that Guadeloupe missed the worst of the storm. There is some damage, and some electrical services are out, but the storm went mostly north of the island.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
763 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hurricane Irma

Newspaper headline from Guadeloupe (translated into English): "Guadeloupe spared, the islands of the North devastated." By "the North," they are referring to St. Martin, Barbuda, etc.

long island
Level Contributor
301 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hurricane Irma

Thanks for the update. I'd hoped that was the case

Fribourg...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hurricane Irma

Just read some news in French and Irma almost didn't hit Guadeloupe. Road all OK, sometimes there might be no electricity, and few damages.

Level Contributor
116 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hurricane Irma

Will G be effected by other hurricane on the way?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
763 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hurricane Irma

Right now, it looks like Hurricane Jose will go north of Guadeloupe, like Irma did.

Deshaies, Guadeloupe
Level Contributor
43 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hurricane Irma

We made it through Irma with minimal damage as we were only in the outer bands...a few boats came off of their mooring balls in the Bay of Deshaies and there were some rocks thrown up on the beach and streets in areas along the water from the large waves. We didn't have any problems with Jose. Still a great safe place to visit!

long island
Level Contributor
301 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hurricane Irma

All good news, thanks for sharing.

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hurricane Irma

Hi does anyone know how badly Maria hit G - I have seen pictures of flooding and know that people were killed?

Deshaies, Guadeloupe
Level Contributor
43 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hurricane Irma

Hello, We were in the outer bands of Irma and therefore did not have serious problems. It was Maria that hit us more closely. Both came in the middle of the night. As for Deshaies, it made it through both hurricanes in tact. Maria brought some trees and signs down (as well as a couple of power lines) and there was minor flooding of the businesses along the water in the Bay of Deshaies because of the waves. It will all be cleaned up within days and there were some grocers already open in the town the morning after Maria. I haven't seen or heard of building damage around here. It will be business as usual here in Deshaies and it is still beautiful, quaint, safe and secure. As for other parts of Guadeloupe, it's hard to get news, so I can't say. But, I was forwarded videos of serious flooding in Point-a-Pitre. If you are coming to Deshaies, vacation plans wouldn't be impacted at all as far as I can tell. Thanks!

Reply to: Hurricane Irma
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Guadeloupe