We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How's the damage?

new hampshire
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
How's the damage?

Was planning a trip to Guadeloupe in December, How did the island fair during the hurricane? Hopefully the people and their property are all ok. Any information would be appreciated.

Thoughts, prayers, and thanks,

Kathy

10 replies to this topic
Deshaies, Guadeloupe
Level Contributor
49 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How's the damage?

We were below the eye and only minimal damage that will not impact anyone's trip here. In Deshaies, a few boats in the bay came off their mooring balls, but no trees down and just some rocks thrown up along the beaches by the larger than normal waves. Fortunately, we were spared. Your vacation should be fabulous.

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: How's the damage?

Great news for you......and for me! Thanks a bunch!

1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How's the damage?

I'm planning a trip for January any suggestions?

Boston
Level Contributor
51 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How's the damage?

We're going in December and March. Looks like Hurricane Maria was far worse for Guadeloupe than Irma. I'm waiting to hear from the people we're renting from as to what the damage was. Fingers crossed that everyone is safe and that vacations can go as planned.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How's the damage?

How is the damage in saint Francis

Guadeloupe is in our thoughts and prayers

Deshaies, Guadeloupe
Level Contributor
49 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How's the damage?

Not sure about Saint-François or other areas in Guadeloupe as news coverage is not that great right now. But, as far as Deshaies goes, although Maria was much more powerful than Irma for us, it appears that this area made it through with relatively minimal damage. We drove through town this morning and along the way saw only some trees and plants down, as well as the occasional sign or lightweight fencing. There seems to have also been minor flooding of some of the beachfront businesses, but a local fruit stand and market were open. Electricity kicked off for only a little while this morning and our cell coverage stayed in tact. It will all be cleaned up quickly. We are very fortunate and I am sure that your visit will be great! Our support goes out to our surrounding islands and any areas of Guadeloupe suffering right now.

Edited: 20 September 2017, 03:24
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
779 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How's the damage?

A very nice update on Irma's and Maria's impact on Guadeloupe: guadeloupeguide.com/guadeloupe-after-hurrica…

New Haven...
Level Contributor
286 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How's the damage?

Sucks to read about Les Saintes catching the grunt of the storm. Thanks for the update

Saint Cloud...
Level Contributor
174 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How's the damage?

Thank you for the updates. The only thing I've seen was one photo of Deshaies from one of the DIP cast, and it showed a lot of downed trees. Glad to hear it wasn't as severe as it could have been. We'll be there in December (St Francois and Deshaies) but at this point I'm assuming things will be back up and running. Thanks for the link to the excellent article; my heart goes out to the other islands that were impacted.

Plaistow, New...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: How's the damage?

This is great news. Coming to Deshaies in December for our first visit to Guadeloupe. How are the waterfront restaurants and shops looking?This is where we figured to spend a lot of our time, since we're staying at Le Rayon Vert...

Reply to: How's the damage?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted