We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guadeloupe in January 2018

Hungary
1 post
Save Topic
Guadeloupe in January 2018

Hi All,

Im planning to go to Guadeloupe in early January with a friend.

We would like to stay close to beautiful beaches ( Grande Anse is one of them?), Riffle is a good choice? We'd also like to hire a car and go around the island to explore its cultural and "natural' beauty. Any suggestions? Also read about Caret Island, really worth to see?

Many thanks,

Kriszti

4 replies to this topic
Guadeloupe
Level Contributor
167 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Guadeloupe in January 2018

If you are coming here to see classically beautiful white sand Caribbean beaches, you should stay on the island of Grande-Terre (in the towns of Le Gosier, St. Anne or St. Francois). The beaches of Basse-Terre, including Grande Anne, have brown-yellow-orange sand. They look more like beaches of Hawaii and the Pacific. They are still beautiful of course!

Caret Island is worth seeing (it's a patch of white sand in the middle of the turquoise ocean), but it's better to go there as part of a trip that visits several islands. It's very small. Gwada Decouverte is one of the best companies to go with - their half-day island hopping tour costs 35 euro, and includes a stop on Ilet Caret.

If you want to be near white sand beaches but also near the rainforest and waterfalls, I recommend staying in Le Gosier. That way you can spend most days on beaches, but you can also get to the rainforest/Basse-Terre island within 30-45 mins of driving.

Edited: 18 September 2017, 18:38
Durango, Colorado
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guadeloupe in January 2018

I am planning to go to guadeloupe in 2/2018 and stayin St. ANne and St. FRancois. Please tell me the extent of damages from recent hurricanes.

Guadeloupe
Level Contributor
167 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Guadeloupe in January 2018

I haven't heard of any major damage in St. Anne or St. Francois. Those areas were pretty far from the eye of the storm, so it's probably just fallen trees and billboards which are easily fixed. The worst-hit areas in Guadeloupe were Les Saintes and the Southern parts of Basse Terre.

Burlington, Vermont
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Guadeloupe in January 2018

We are staying in St Francois for the first few nights and then we are booked for a hotel in Les Saintes for 3 nights in mid-Nov. It sounds like we should stay in St Francois for the whole trip instead?

Reply to: Guadeloupe in January 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted