We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel asking for cash/wire transfer deposit

La Center...
13 posts
Save Topic
Hotel asking for cash/wire transfer deposit

Hi,

I will be in Guadeloupe near the end of December. I just booked my hotels via booking.com. Shortly after booking them, I was contacted by one of the places saying that I needed to send a wire transfer for the deposit or use cash. They also asked for 30% of the total booking cost to be paid by wire transfer within 8 days.

Is all this normal? I used the credit card to book the hotel and I am not sure why they can't use that information for the deposit.

Any advice is appreciated!

1 reply
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
777 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel asking for cash/wire transfer deposit

Which hotel is it? Some hotels/guesthouses in Guadeloupe do ask for wire transfer. It's a common, easy practice in France (and Guadeloupe is part of France), so the hotels don't understand that it's not common in the United States and other places, and can be time consuming and expensive for us. Perhaps you can e-mail them (use Google Translate to translate into French) and ask if they will take a credit card deposit? Oh, and also - usually these deposits are refundable up to a certain amount of time before you arrive. 3 to 7 days is common.

Reply to: Hotel asking for cash/wire transfer deposit
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Guadeloupe