We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maria hit hard...any first hand news yet?

Level Contributor
8,646 posts
240 reviews
Save Topic
Maria hit hard...any first hand news yet?

This island had a direct impact from what I read....so much news coming out of SJU but how about Guadeloupe...hope it is better than expected but wait to hear.

10 replies to this topic
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
763 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maria hit hard...any first hand news yet?

If you click through this forum you'll see some reports by locals. There was some flooding, especially in southern Basse Terre and in the capital city of Basse Terre. There were apparently some temporary power outages. Otherwise, from what I've heard and read, Guadeloupe came through pretty well. I've been in e-mail communication with several people and they have said their services (electricity, radio/TV, internet) all came back quickly after the storm.

1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Maria hit hard...any first hand news yet?

HI, Where can i find posts by locals for up to date effects of the storm? thanks!

Level Contributor
8,646 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maria hit hard...any first hand news yet?

okay that is good news....amazing as I would think Guadeloupe hit as Cat 5 would be worse than Puerto Rico but maybe not?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
763 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maria hit hard...any first hand news yet?

If you speak French, or use Google Translate, this newspaper will provide lots of information: http://www.guadeloupe.franceantilles.fr/

Even if you don't, you can click through pictures. Clearly, there was damage - some of it extensive. But it was apparently nowhere near as bad as in Dominica or Puerto Rico.

Deshaies, Guadeloupe
Level Contributor
43 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maria hit hard...any first hand news yet?

Deshaies is still a perfect vacation destination and we have friends from America coming for a visit in about 2 weeks. During Irma, we were in the outer bands but a couple of boats in the bay were torn from their mooring balls and thrown against the rocks and waves tossed rocks and debris into the streets. Not much else that we could see besides minor flooding of a couple of beach front businesses. Maria was worse. Both came through in the middle of the night so there likely isn't as much video footage. Trees and signs came down around town and a few power lines but the buildings and infrastructure are in tact. We lost electricity for only 30 minutes in the morning (others for longer). Our cell service didn't go out but other cell providers are having problems. Some flooding and roof and terrace damage to some restaurants along the water, but a grocer and fruit market were already open the folllowing morning near the bay of Deshaies. School is back in session on Monday for us. It will all be back to normal in Deshaies very quickly and we even had dinner in town this evening at a local restaurant. Nothing that would impact any planned vacation to Deshaies...still beautiful, quaint, safe, and charming. Not sure about other areas except I received videos of parts of Point-à-Pitre with massive flooding.

Guadeloupe
Level Contributor
156 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Maria hit hard...any first hand news yet?

Guadeloupe got lucky, the damage is nothing along the lines of what you see coming out of Dominica and Puerto Rico. The worst-hit area here was beautiful little Les Saintes, and indeed it's a sad sight from what I saw on the news. Lots of houses were torn down, and roofs are missing. But the clean-up crew is working hard. I hope that Les Saintes can recover from this.

Elsewhere in Guadeloupe the biggest issue has been the fallen trees. Many roads have been blocked due to the trees, but those are now being cleared away at a fast speed. There was some flooding in the inland areas as well, but the coastal touristy towns are all fine. In St. Francois some boats sank in the marina.

Level Contributor
8,646 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maria hit hard...any first hand news yet?

great to hear...thanks everyone...but oh so sad about Les Saintes...last time we stayed there and is it so unique and beautiful...hope it comes back strong.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
763 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maria hit hard...any first hand news yet?

Videos of Maria in Guadeloupe: lci.fr/societe/ouragan-maria-l-archipel-des-… The headline, translated into English, is: "IN IMAGES, IN PICTURES. Hurricane Maria crosses Guadeloupe, "black out" on the island of Saintes"

By the way, you can use this website to translate entire websites into English: itools.com/tool/google-translate-web-page-tr…

Just copy and paste the website's URL into the box.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
763 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maria hit hard...any first hand news yet?

Certainly some upbeat assessments here: https:/… and travelweekly.com/Caribbean-Travel/Guadeloupe…

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
763 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Maria hit hard...any first hand news yet?

A very nice update on Maria's impact on Guadeloupe: guadeloupeguide.com/guadeloupe-after-hurrica…

Reply to: Maria hit hard...any first hand news yet?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Guadeloupe