We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandals or Iberostar Grand Rose Hall?

Winnipeg Manitoba
Level Contributor
137 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Sandals or Iberostar Grand Rose Hall?

Thoughts/suggestions?

Winnipeg, MB
Level Contributor
329 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandals or Iberostar Grand Rose Hall?

Hi Free123:

Well, we have been to most Sandals in the Caribbean, our last trip this past December to Royal Caribbean and they are good properties. This coming December we are booked at the Grand Rose Rose. Why, you may ask, the great price compared to any Sandals in MoBay, the Butler service, all rooms arer suites, real top shelf liquor, I could go on, but read the reviews on the Grand and if you have any questions, just ask. My detailed review is on Tripadvisor of our trip the Sandals Royal.

Have a great day from a fellow Winnipeger

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,067 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandals or Iberostar Grand Rose Hall?

All Sandals are not created equal and it really depends what you are looking for.

The Grand is on a compound on a man made beach. It is a Spanish owned chain. I have stayed at The Grand in MX and while it was fine, it is not a resort I will return to and especially not in Jamaica where luxe and butlers and suites are completely irrelevant to my enjoyment. I want a great beach, a Jamaican vibe and a resort that makes me feel like I am in Jamaica.

I would choose Sandals Whitehouse or Sandals Negril before The Grand but that is personal preference.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
449 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandals or Iberostar Grand Rose Hall?

Take the advice of Winterpeg over what "caviargal" says. The "Grand" in Montego Bay is very nice. The beach and ocean are lovely. You will feel like you are in Jamaica because you are! The Jamaican staff were all great. Very friendly. The butler issue is over rated, we never used the services of our butler when we were there. The Grand is newer than any of the Sandals so it is not showing age and wear. It is hard to understand criticism of the Grand from someone who has never been there.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,067 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandals or Iberostar Grand Rose Hall?

I have been to Jamaica over 30 times since the 70s and there is a long list of resorts I would never stay in - that is based on personal preference. I do not have to stay at The Grand to know that it does not appeal to me. The look, the location, the compound and the experience of staying at The Grand in MX are all quite enough for me to know that this resort is not what I look for when planning a trip to Jamaica.

While The Grand may be a perfect choice for retiredcouple, not everyone looks for this type of resort when choosing to visit Jamaica. The newness of a resort is meaningless to me and some of my favorites have been around a very long time.

To each their own.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
215 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandals or Iberostar Grand Rose Hall?

Support Jamaican owned businesses and go to Sandals :)

I have never stayed at Iberostar, so I cannot comment on the rooms but I have been with a day pass and I was not to fond of their food.

Like caviargal said it really depends on what you want to do on your vacation.

Compare the amenities and see what best fits YOU

Edited: 20 July 2011, 23:09
Winnipeg, MB
Level Contributor
329 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sandals or Iberostar Grand Rose Hall?

Hi Fellow Winnipeger:

First, Go Jets Go!

Now, my wife and I have been to Jamaica 20+ times, so I know all about the "vibe" of Jamaica. When we first went to Jamaica, we stayed in Negril and the beach is great! The beach at Sandals Negril is the worst beach in Negril and possibly in Jamaica! If you want the best beach, you have to go to Couples Swept Away. In MoBay, the beaches are good, but the "vibe" of Jamaica is everywhere, including the so-called Non-Jamaican resorts.

I don't wave any flag when it comes to buying a product. We have stayed at the Iberostar in Punta Cana(beach is better than Negrils) and we thoroughly enjoyed it. The workers will be Jamaican and we too do NOT use the "butler" thing BUT we know what service is all about and we have many Jamaican friends from past visits to Sandals, Grand Lidos and Couples who are now working at the Iberostar resorts.

Anyway, it's all about what you look for in a vacation.

Also, we have been to both Sandals Negril and Whitehouse and Whitehouse was better than Negril, but neither of them were as good as Couples Negril or Swept Away.

Have a great day and try and keep cool with this heat wave we are having:

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,067 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sandals or Iberostar Grand Rose Hall?

<neither of them were as good as Couples Negril or Swept Away.>

On that we agree completely!

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
3,106 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sandals or Iberostar Grand Rose Hall?

Hi From the west (Regina) Free123. GO JETS (sorry - grew up on MB boarder)!

Have not been yet to Iberostar - will be Jan with my kids to the IBRH Suites becasue I hear they are fantastic family resorts. Was at Sandals MoBay last year with day trips to the Carlyle and Royal Carribean - no experience with the other Sandals. Out of those three, I would pay more to go to the Sandals MoBay - great beach, FANTASTIC vibe - weather you are 20 or 70 (I am mid 30s) it is just so laid back and fun. I know alot of people like it, but I wouldn't stay at the Carlyle. With a killer deal I would stay at the Royal Carribean but it just seemed too quiet (almost stuffy) when we went there - if that is what you're after then it's great.

My husband and I are going to St. Lucia this year but will likely return to Sandals Mobay next year. We miss it already :) If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,671 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sandals or Iberostar Grand Rose Hall?

Free123....which Sandals are you looking at? As caviargal mentioned, not all are created equally.

10. Re: Sandals or Iberostar Grand Rose Hall?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 13:15