We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A bit confused over which currency to take from UK

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
145 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
A bit confused over which currency to take from UK

Hi

Sorry its probably been asked lots of times before but....

We will be going to Jamaica for the first time in June and are not sure which currency to take.

At the moment we can get $1.92 USA to our UK £1.00 or $1.31 JA to our UK £1.00

Which should we take or should we take some of each??

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
United States
United States
North America
Scotland
Level Contributor
35 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A bit confused over which currency to take from UK

We took both Jamaican dollars and US dollars. I think most things tend to be in US dollars though. If you ask they will tell you it is Jamaican but all the prices we saw referred to US dollars. We also paid by credit card for all our trips and the exchange rate worked in our favour. Have a fantastic time. We were there in Jan for 2 weeks and loved it. If you take english money they will change that too...

uk
Level Contributor
288 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: A bit confused over which currency to take from UK

get a bit of both just enough to see you through for the first day or so,then take the rest in uk currency as they usually give you better rates over there.

you seem to buy more for your money in jamaican as american priced things always seem to work out dearer.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,742 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A bit confused over which currency to take from UK

I'd check your Jamaican rate... seems WAAAAAY off to me...

Chelle

uk
Level Contributor
288 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: A bit confused over which currency to take from UK

where is offering that great jamaican rate?

nyc
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: A bit confused over which currency to take from UK

ove the decimal 131 - 1 pound us is approx 70-1

and piund to use is approx 2-1 they are almost paying the brits to get drunk lol...

County Durham
Level Contributor
824 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: A bit confused over which currency to take from UK

Hi,

Where are you staying? If you are within easy access of a cambio (exchange) then I would take a small amount of money with you in US dollars, I say US as they are easy to get over the counter in the UK, whereas you have to order Jamaican. Then take the rest in sterling and change while you are there. We were getting 136 Jamaican dollars to the pound in January and it had just fallen from 140 something.

Have a fantastic time

:-)

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
159 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A bit confused over which currency to take from UK

Take JA dollars!

They quote US dollars because it's worth more to them and they always give you back your change in JA$ anyway which I have found very annoying.

The last time I went to JA I used only JA $. The only time I used US dollars was to pay my taxi fare to and from the hotel at $10 each.

I have used my debit card at the ATM in Montego Bay when I have needed extra cash and only withdrawn JA $ only.

I remember being quoted $150 to get to Negril from Mobay from several people. That was approximately £75.00. When I asked the price in JA dollars I was quoted between JA $ 5,000 - 7,000. Big difference!

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
145 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A bit confused over which currency to take from UK

Hi

Thanks everyone for all your replies, very helpful.

I did have the decimial point in the wrong place duhh it should have said $131.00 which was quoted from the Post Office.

We will be staying at the Riu Tropical Bay are there any cambios near there? Do they charge you to exchange?

In view of your advice I think I will take some dollars in $1s for tipping and JA dollars for buying any purchases and sterling to change when we get there if there are any cambios nearby.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,040 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A bit confused over which currency to take from UK

Dawn i usually take US$ i generally have JA$ left over from previous trips, i dont tend to take loads of money, just a bit to get me through my first few days - then i use the ATM machine, i have a Natwest and Nationwide account neither of which charge for using machines abroad and they pay out in JA$

Jamaica
Level Contributor
2,238 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A bit confused over which currency to take from UK

Bring Sterling only - changing pounds into US dollars will only result in you losing money. You can change your money into J$ as soon as you get here for a much better rate than you get in the U.K.