We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sandals halcyon

ottawa
Level Contributor
194 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
sandals halcyon

Hello,

So my husband and I have decided on Sandals Halycon. We are looking at the Caribbean Grande Luxe room. Any advice on which Room or floor better? Is the beach nice? We have loved going to Couples Swept Away three times, with a beautiful beach in Negril. Some reviews make me nervous. We are older, 50's so this resort may be more forms.

Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
13,764 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sandals halcyon

One thing about Halcyon is that there is not a whole lot of difference in the rooms overall. It is an older property and there is not much they could do with room sizes. So, mainly the differences are more in perks and location. You may want to consider one of the Club level rooms, several of which are actually less expensive than the Caribbean Grande Luxe (specifically the Honeymoon Hideaway Luxury Poolside Club Level and Walkout Club level). Then - you get the peks of Club level service, which are great and the room is similar in size and layout. Location is a bit different, but Halcyon is not that big at all, so location is less of an issue overall. That is my 2 cents on the room.

Overall, Halcyon is lovely and on a nice stretch of beach with calm swimming waters, etc (beach doesn't compare to Negril, but none in St. Lucia really do). It has Sandals service, you can visit the other Sandals properties, etc. It is an older property overall and architecture reflects this - no high rises, quaint stone, etc all around, no huge sprawling pools and so on. Beautiful gardens, nice stretch of beach, quaint rooms, and Sandals service - it is an oasis, so to speak. Plus - the other 2 Sandals to visit.

Enjoy your visit!

Mentioned in this post
The Club, Barbados Resort & Spa All Inclusive
The Club, Barbados...
2,037 Reviews
Barbados
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
Caribbean
ottawa
Level Contributor
194 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sandals halcyon

Thanks a lot. I have seen positive comments on the Joe tour, recommended strongly?

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
136 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sandals halcyon

Yes. The Joe Knows Tour is awesome. It's basically a full day and you get to see so much of the beautiful island of St. Lucia. And if Joe is on your tour, he is a great guy and very fun!

Mentioned in this post
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
Caribbean
Toronto Canada
Level Contributor
517 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sandals halcyon

Hi Sandra,

We have been to CSA many times and really enjoy it there but after 12+ visits we decided we needed a break. Got a great price on St Lucia this past April and did a split stay at SGSL and Rendezvous and loved it. The beaches aren't like Negril but we loved St Lucia so much we cancelled our New Years visit to CSA and booked SAndals Halcyon.

We chose a Beachfront room (Romeo&Juliet) because they seemed similar to the Beachfront rooms we like at CSA. What rooms do you prefer at CSA? I agree with Reedprincess, book a Club room. It's nice having the bar in your room and you've probably become accustom to it if you have been staying at CSA.

I'm sure you will enjoy St Lucia. It's a beautiful island and the people are so nice you feel right at home in no time.

Enjoy!

KK

Mentioned in this post
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
Caribbean
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
ottawa
Level Contributor
194 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sandals halcyon

Hello,

Thank you so much for the info. We decided we wanted a change to another island and found a good air Canada deal to St. Lucia. It was hard to pick which one but the Halycon seems smaller and I like that you can go to the other two. At CSA we have been in oceanview and beachfront and loved their balconies. Of course their beach is beautiful. The island of St. Lucia is way more lush and scenic so this is what we wanted. I think our room is called Caribbean Grand Luxery walk out. Mmy husband booked it for February.

Mentioned in this post
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
Caribbean
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Toronto Canada
Level Contributor
517 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sandals halcyon

Part of the reason we changed out trip from CSA to St Lucia was because of prices too. Same as you, we found a much better deal to St Lucia than to Jamaica with AC. I was really surprised because it's usually cheaper to go to Jamaica. I think Couples really jacked up the prices for Canadians this past year. I have to say we were treated very nicely by Sandals. Customer Service and recognition of returniung guests is much better at Sandals than at Couples.

I looked at the room you choice at Halcyon and it looks like a nice room. I expect it's a gardenview but from what I remember Halcyon has beautiful gardens. If you wanted a room similar to the OVS or BFS (original section?) you stayed in at CSA, I'd suggest taking a look at the Beachfront Luxery Walkout Club rooms.

I'll be there in Dec so I'll post a review when we get back and give you my opinion.

A part of me misses CSA but I'm really looking forward to going back to St Lucia and staying at the Halcyon.

KK

Mentioned in this post
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
Caribbean
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
ottawa
Level Contributor
194 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sandals halcyon

Hi,

No kidding, we saw the prices to Couples and very high. It is nice to get your feedback on Sandals as we have never tried them. The room says garden and oceanview but looking at pictures it looks like garden greenery surrounding the room! My husband already booked this suite. Maybe there is a contact there I could email and ask for a room that may be closer to ocean, nothing seems too far from water on this resort. Any other advice or hints you get please pass it on. Is tipping allowed here?

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,788 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sandals halcyon

Hi Sandra...Sandals has the same tipping policy as Couples which is that tipping is prohibited for all staff. At Sandals though, you are able to tip the butlers and the spa staff (though there is a 12.5% surcharge at the spa which some consider a tip....I tip over and above this).

We've visited the Halcyon a number of times for dinner and the day while staying twice at Sandals Grande St. Lucian. Here is a link to my photos from last year. I haven't captioned them all, nor are they in any order (sorry about that!), but it will give you an idea of the pools and beach etc.

https:/…

ottawa
Level Contributor
194 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sandals halcyon

Hello,

Thank you for sending the link to the pictures and your info.

Do you know how a person would be able to touch base with someone at this resort, just to ask about requesting a top level room?

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,788 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: sandals halcyon

I'll send you a PM momentarily....