We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Terrible honeymoon review of Sandals Grande St Lucian

Harrow, United...
Level Contributor
2,131 posts
225 reviews
Save Topic
Terrible honeymoon review of Sandals Grande St Lucian

A report has been uploaded from the Pulvers of Houston which includes the following statement:-

"We are frequent travelers and have stayed many places around the world with different levels of accommodations. Obviously, we are seasoned travelers and looked forward to our 1st once in a lifetime trip as soul mates."

I just wonder, given their very negative report, whether the Pulvers were actually at the same resort that we visited and reported on. I also wonder why, if they have "stayed many places around the world", this is their first ever contribution to TA.

UK
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Terrible honeymoon review of Sandals Grande St Lucian

Apologies if I've put words into your mouth but when you stick up for someone's review it does assume that you have personal knowledge of the resort or of the reviewer. Maybe you're just playing Devil's advocate, but again, if someone wrote a slating review of Jalousie and another person criticized it, I certainly wouldn't leap to their defence, because I have no personal experience of whether the review is accurate or not.

surrey
Level Contributor
1,966 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Terrible honeymoon review of Sandals Grande St Lucian

Of course there are many slating reviews of every hotel - but generally there isn't a forum thread about them. For instance at the moment there is a review by someone who has had to cancel at the Jalousie because of the hurricane damage and hasn't had a refund as yet - I don't happen to think writing such a review will help the reviewer - the Jalousie's phones are now working and they have Facebook page so it would have been easier for them to have taken one of those routes but I'm not actually complaining about that review - as I say everyone is entitled to their opinion. That is why I'm defending that review and why I posted links to others to support the reviewer's claim that everything might not always be perfect!

Now back to writing the Christmas Cards!!

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,684 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Terrible honeymoon review of Sandals Grande St Lucian

It's a given that not always everything is perfect for all people at all resorts. And certainly anyone could justify a review such as the one mentioned by Dave, by linking to other negative reviews to try and prove the point. But likewise, if I had the time, I could link to positive reviews to offset the negatives...and on and on.

I could care less if someone has one review to their name or several...we all at one time were "review virgins", but I do give less credibility to those that sign up simply to post one negative review and then never return again. I also take most reviews whether negative or positive, with a grain of salt as they are only part of my research when travelling. What I look for in the reviews is consistent mentioning of something good/bad before I accept it as gospel. And the poster of the original review lost me totally when a simple event relocation brought her to tears. I don't think she has the fortitude to travel until she matures.

chesbrgr said it right when he mentioned he wouldn't dream of making comments about a resort he had not stayed at. I feel exactly the same way. So that leaves me still confused as to why you (mw104) feel the need to sometimes subtly and sometimes openly ensure a negative spin is put on a place you've never stayed at. Oh well.

Flowers on the other hand is so totally open in his/her dislike of Sandals...and I don't know why, but his/her posts make me giggle!

At any rate, Christmas is approaching and it is a time to celebrate and enjoy the season. And aren't we all so very lucky that we have trips we can post about, when others are not so fortunate! Wherever you are located and wherever you might be headed, enjoy the season everyone!

Harrow, United...
Level Contributor
2,131 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Terrible honeymoon review of Sandals Grande St Lucian

Gosh! Little did I know what I was starting! Happy Christmas everyone and enjoy your holidays, wherever you may go, in 2011.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
109 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Terrible honeymoon review of Sandals Grande St Lucian

MW104 - how can you say you don't make judgments and don't post them on here?

"This is a quote from the latest review from someone who has stayed at SG which kind of sums it up -"

How can it "sum it up" for you when you haven't stayed there...

I'm a lurker...I LOVE st lucia - we've stayed at the Regency and had a wonderful time. We like all inclusive resorts and find sandals to be outstanding. Perfect...no...but we're on vacation -- there's enough to worry about at home.

I do note certain people that for whatever reason are "anti" big business, anti "chains" and somehow seem to have backhanded responses without actually even being at the place.

I understand you can have your impressions from what you saw walking by...but just give that, why give more?

As for Jalousie it looks beautiful, but its out of our budget...if I stretched my budget to "afford" it and it wasn't 200% (May 4-11 is 6000 at jalousie and my trip is 3000 to sandals) better than sandals and my expectations then I may write a bad review on it...

I find that a LOT of the complaints usually come down to "it wasn't worth what I paid because I paid so much..." and people have unattainable expectations when that happens...no matter how nice it truly is.

Again, all this is my OPINION from what I've gathered together and felt like I deserved to give my 2 cents.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,198 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Terrible honeymoon review of Sandals Grande St Lucian

TP55 and I share the same opinion about posting, we don't comment on any resort that we haven't personally stayed at. We have stayed with different Sandals 14 times and love the level of service we receive. We usually travel 6 - 8 times a year, mostly in the US, but we do go to Jamaica or Bahamas twice a year. We also go to Hawaii annually. Throw in a couple of European trips and we consider ourselves at least a little experienced in traveling. We love our Sandals trips and most certainly believe that there are many other good resort options as well.

My saying about Sandals, and I haven't used it for awhile: "Sandals is a very classy resort that is not stuffy". Hey TP55, we're down to 30 days until the Whitehouse!!!!

27. Re: Terrible honeymoon review of Sandals Grande St Lucian

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2011, 13:16
Get answers to your questions about Gros Islet
Recent Conversations