We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitos and CDC warning

Which St. Maarten-St. Martin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
2 posts
Save Topic
Mosquitos and CDC warning

Does anyone have recent news on he mosquito problem in St. Martin. Sounds like people, including us should postpone our upcoming trip.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
91 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitos and CDC warning

I wouldn't. I've read a couple dozen of reviews from travelers to the island in the past 2 weeks and none have mentioned the mosquito-borne virus. The virus is there, but the probability of you getting is still very very minute ... IMO, not enough to cancel your journey unless you have a fragile immune system due to age or special medical condition.

Boston...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitos and CDC warning

great---thanks !!

Loudon, Tennessee
Level Contributor
64 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitos and CDC warning

Use a mosquito repellent with DEET. Mosquito Milk is readily available on the island in pharmacies and large grocery chains. The diseases mentioned in the CDC are prevalent throughout the Caribbean due to increased travel and tourism. I would not cancel your trip plans. I'll be deoarting for our annual visit on a couple of weeks. (have been visiting since 1984).

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
6 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitos and CDC warning

see feb 8 new york times article. l read it and will still go there on mar 28

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
8 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitos and CDC warning

Just returned from a weeks stay there (1-8 Feb), NO issues. We stayed at Oyster Bay, were all over the island daily (our travel mates were experienced St. Martin-ophiles and rental car tour guides). We only did two precautionary things (1) We all wore repellant bracelets when not at the beach during the day, and (2) We were simply more wary of any flying insects during late afternoon & evening hours. Truth is - we really didn't see hardly any flying insects at all - didn't seem to be a very 'buggy' island to us. I really don't even recall getting bitten even once all week (and was a little paranoid going in.) In fact, I really don't recall any of our party getting bitten during the week. Wonderful week - JUST GO. (Maybe try a repellant bracelet and forget it.) Best wishes, Bob W. Bristol RI USA

Priddis, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquitos and CDC warning

We are going to St Maarten on June 22, 2014 for 2 weeks…staying in Terres Basses but will be all over the island. Has anyone come back recently who can report on the "Mosquito" problem?

Thanks, Debora

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
8 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquitos and CDC warning

We were on the French side for 2 weeks in March and there were plenty of mosquitos BUT if you take precautions (deet spray and cover up at dusk and early morning) you will be fine. We went well prepared and had no problem whatsoever.

Smithfield, Virginia
Level Contributor
54 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosquitos and CDC warning

We were on the Dutch side, Great Bay for a week in March; didn't see a single skeeter the whole time we were there. Obviously, that was our experience and your mileage may vary.

-jeff

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
292 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Mosquitos and CDC warning

Returned yesterday after 10 days on the French side.Never saw one mosquito and no one ever even mentioned any problem.Every day was beautiful,brief (very) rain shower twice in that time.

Monroe
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mosquitos and CDC warning

We stayed went into Grand Case every night for dinner. I took precautions and ordered mosquito milk every night. I was bitten by Mosquitos several times. I also was chatting with a bartender who told me she didn't feel well because she had the chick...

I am home now and am not feeling the best. Wish I would have changed my plans!