We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Music on board

Dallas, Texas
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Music on board

Any suggestions on playing music on the boat? Pandora and the like will eat up data and cost a fortune. Any suggestions😏

Edited: 18 April 2017, 12:21
7 replies to this topic
Boston
Level Contributor
1,584 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Music on board

If you are talking about an excursion I just did this. I bought a Bose speaker mini that is splash proof. I have a spare iPhone that I used and I added a play list called boat. I had some great music on there however each device needs to be charged.

I have a ton of music on my phones so I could probably do it just using my phone. Do you have an iPod?

Are you sailing? The boat may have a stereo. Findbout, maybe bring some cd's.

Springfield, VA
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Music on board

A lot of boats have an auxiliary or docking system. We downloaded music and, like Tia, also have a mini bose system for travel

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for St. John, Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Music on board

We bring music and use pandora too. On my AT&T data plan, Pandora works reasonably well. When I'm out of AT&T range Pandora won't work at all without using a US-based VPN. I always bring a variety of patch cables, but most boats have Bluetooth.

Cheers, RickG

Boston
Level Contributor
1,584 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Music on board

I would imagine data usage would cost a small fortune. Check your rates and plans before you go or upgrade to an international plan.

Dallas
Level Contributor
224 posts
869 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Music on board

Great question, Dallas! My hubby and I are on AT&T and from Dallas too. We have found GREAT plans for Mexico, Cruise Ships and Europe. Has anyone found a good AT&T plan for the BVIs?

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
73 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Music on board

Pandora has an offline setting for your most listened to stations.

Edited: 22 April 2017, 01:17
Level Contributor
619 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Music on board

We just keep it easy, and bring some favorite sailing C.D's in a protective folder, and use the C.D player on the Jeanneau 36.that just the two of us skipper....thru Conch Charters. There are speakers below and up in the cockpit as well. Also, we always travel light with only one legal sized carry on.

Sometimes, when we will sail into a harbor, we pick up a mooring, square the vessel away, make up a couple of rum drinks, along with pu'pu's and dance up in the cockpit, and enjoy some easy time before going ashore. Love the BVI and being on island time.

At sea we can split up the music time , in natural quiet with just the sound of the bow wave rolling along side the hull as we cut thru the seas, . We sail, and only use the engine to charge up the electrical system and do not need shore power . Our last two week BVI sailing vacation, we used a total of 7 gals of fuel. Mostly when charging up the batteries daily and entering harbors for mooring pick up, , as well as dropping off and departing the mooring field. Otherwise, the engine is shut down .

No shore power is required for any of the two weeks, until we return the boat to the charter company,

We also enjoy GUARDIANS OF THE REEF, when on board for sunsets. Snugged up in the cockpit , with a sundowner, perfect sunset music, all peaceful and easy. Highly recommend as perfect sunset mellows GUARDIANS OF THE REEF.....picked it up when sailing Australia. Absolutely beautiful.

Actually, we were thinking about a new small compact portable system, that we could use at home, and when bbqing in the wilderness parks after hiking, as well as on board . We do have pandora and great speakers here at home, but we also have quite a collection of fav C.D;s that we would like to enjoy. not only at home, but when out in the wonderland of nature.

Not sure if they even still produce anything like that in the present electronic super device age of technology.

You all know any dinosaur stores or have suggestions. We do not have I pods, or smart phones, and are not slaves to our one old flip cell phone. I know, we are locked in the neandethal period, and dont have a clue one, as to what most people are talking about when it comes to electronic devices.

You all have a grand and wonderful sailing or motor vessel adventure plying the waters and exploring the harbors of the BVI. Music is good for the soul.

Keep the BVI party light illuminated.

Reply to: Music on board
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tortola
Recent Conversations