We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tortola Beaches by Boat

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
40 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Tortola Beaches by Boat

We are headed to Virgin Gorda for a week in May. We are doing a full day tour with a Captain and will hit Norman, Jost and some of the great snorkeling spots. But we decided to rent a boat another day and do it on our own. We want to see the North Sound but I was thinking of circling Tortola and seeing some of the beaches. Can we anchor at Cane Garden Bay? Any other ideas?

We will have a 30' twin engine boat and my husband has extensive experience in the open ocean.

Thanks.

2 replies to this topic
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for St. John, Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tortola Beaches by Boat

Check the weather and conditions. Swell from the north can make the north side of Tortola problematic. Options on the north side include Brewers Bay (some charter companies red line due to underwater cables), Cane Garden Bay and Smugglers Cove. You can anchor at all three and there are mooring balls at Cane Garden.

My opinion? Much better to check out Monkey Point and White Bay at Guana Island, Marina Cay and Diamond Reef, Scrub Island, Cooper Island and Cistern Point, Salt Island and the Wreck of the Rhone. Lots more out there that will be closer and smoother.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
40 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tortola Beaches by Boat

Thanks for the input, exactly what so was looking for. Can we go on Guana Island for lunch?

Just felt a bit sad to not visit Tortola at all but maybe next time.

Reply to: Tortola Beaches by Boat
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tortola
Recent Conversations