We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire & Getting Around in Tortola - Can you help?

Devon
Level Contributor
15 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Car Hire & Getting Around in Tortola - Can you help?

We are visiting Tortola in a couple of weeks time and are spending 3 days in a hotel near Cane Garden Beach then on a boat for 5 days and then 2 days in a hotel near Brewers Bay.

We land on an early evening flight from Antigua and so need some advice as to whether to a) hire a car at all or can you walk to most places? b) or hire a car from the airport for the 3 days and then somehow again for the last 2 days or c) get a taxi from the airport to the first hotel, then hire one from somewhere the following day or even d) get someone to drive us around if we want to go exploring??

Any tips on costs and/or recommendations gratefully received, so I know whats best to plan and sort. Should I organise before we arrive or play it by ear when we land??

Many thanks in advance, jpktrk.

7 replies to this topic
Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Hire & Getting Around in Tortola - Can you help?

Rent a car, even if its 2 separate transactions!! Even though the airport doesn't seem that far from Cane and Brewers its still quite a drive through the hills! If you haven't been to Tortola before, the roads are VERY steep and winding so it will still be a little drive to either location, and I mean VERY steep and winding!! Be prepared as its drive on the left as well, but after a day of driving around you get used to it. The scenery is very lush and green. You will want to see the island at your own pace, its worth it, and Brewers Bay is definitely in my top favorite beaches, St Johns are even nicer! When we have stayed on Tortola we have rented a house and they give us a car at a discount so I am not sure what a rental place would charge you. Most taxis are multiple person type vehicles also. Make an afternoon trip to Roadtown as well, there is a large public lot near the customs check in. Hope that helps!

Devon
Level Contributor
15 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Hire & Getting Around in Tortola - Can you help?

That is really helpful, thank you.

Do you think it's best to collect one at the airport when we arrive so we don't have to catch a taxi or wait and find a local company in Cane Garden the following day?

Also, will a small little car be ok as it's only two of us for a couple if days, or do we need a 4x4?

Thanks

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,385 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Hire & Getting Around in Tortola - Can you help?

Since you are arriving early evening and if you just plan to stay right in CGB for dinner I suggest you taxi from EIS to CGB rather than drive. Taxi fare will be about $25pp for 2 ppl, $20pp for 3 or more.

You can then rent a car the next day for any sightseeing or to go to a quieter beach to snorkel. Del's is a great option, (284) 495-9356.

You can get by with a small car as long as you stay on the main roads and there are no heavy rein storms. We would pay a little extra for a small 4x4 for extra ground clearance to go to Smuggler's Cove and a couple other spots.

[EDIT] You've probably researched CGB and know about the happy hours at Myett's and the music of Quito and others? Nice spot to enjoy your evenings...

Edited: 26 April 2017, 18:27
North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,385 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Hire & Getting Around in Tortola - Can you help?

Taxis are available at EIS, and you can contact Del's now to reserve a vehicle.

And "rein" storms are less common in Tortola than rain storms..

Edited: 27 April 2017, 18:03
Devon
Level Contributor
15 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Hire & Getting Around in Tortola - Can you help?

That's great, thank you.

I'll have a look for Del's and go from there.

I presume it's US Dollars but East Caribbean ones when talking prices?

Cheers

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,385 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Hire & Getting Around in Tortola - Can you help?

US$ For everything...

Devon
Level Contributor
15 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Hire & Getting Around in Tortola - Can you help?

Great and thank you for the tips and suggestions. Much appreciated.

Reply to: Car Hire & Getting Around in Tortola - Can you help?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tortola
Recent Conversations