We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dinner attire in general?

Chapel Hill, North...
2 posts
Save Topic
Dinner attire in general?

Hi! I'm trying to manage our packing to a carry on. We have 8 nights at the Sugar Mill Hotel and no idea what is acceptable for dinner. Women ok in shorts & nice top? Husband wants to do the same; shorts & collared shirt for dinner. Are we dreaming or what? Thank you in advance for any help!

4 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
619 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dinner attire in general?

We have found that like most islands in tropical settings that what you wish to bring and wear will be just fine.

For packing and also airliner......

I do wear one pair of long pants on the airplane.....nice cargo style.....polo shirt or nice aloha shirt for the guys is great.

Erica , for dress up, will wear a light tropical style dress. Many times that is also what she wears on the plane. Plus a light sweater for any cool evenings, and of course the airliner cabin can get a bit chilly.

Not necessasry to get mainland dressed up. Resort casual is perfect, and something that is comfortable for you . Also, you do not need to bring a lot bling or expensive jewelry......and especially when at the beach, and in the water.

In our one duffel each, Erica will bring three bathing suits, one cover up, shorts, deck shoes ( we are sailing the islands ), a nice pair of sandals. Comfortable quality tops, Plus a sundress. Camera, charger, and mask and snorkel.

I will wear my one pair of long pants on the plane, nice aloha shirt, and a light jacket for travel, on the plane and for when arriving back home, usually late at night. Also the jacket sometimes on board the boat, if experiencing an infrequent stronger rain squall. Other wise, we do not mind passing tradewind showers..

I have three pairs of board shorts, tank tops, T-shirts, one long sleeved for sun protection, a nautical style shirt, and a couple of Pussers Co. polo shirts. Mask and snorkel.

We both bring visors, Soggy Dollar for me, and Erica will also bring a brimmed hat with a chin strap, again to keep it on her head while sailing.

You should be just fine, but I have no idea of dress codes at where you are staying but what you wish to wear will be just fine for most of the upscale restaurants . We visit several islands,actually most all of them through out all of the BVI , and you all would be totally up to code as to your nice shorts, shirt, and nice top.. Right on, island style.

The sugar Mill receives many positive reviews on TA, so some of the folks who have stayed there will be able to let you know their first hand experiences.

Chapel Hill, North...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dinner attire in general?

Thanks for the input; I'm going to make the carry on bag happen! I love this forum and the people on it. Happy sailing to you & Erica!!

Boston
Level Contributor
6,558 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dinner attire in general?

Are you eating all your meals at the Sugar Mill? It is one of the nicer restaurants on the island but overall it is very casual. Great restaurant there too!

Spencerport, New...
Level Contributor
613 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dinner attire in general?

Love the Sugar Mill! Try their coconut ice cream.

You will find that most dress nicer than a tshirt and shorts for dinner at the Sugar Mill. You have your thoughts correct.....A collared shirt for men and a dress or dressier top for women. It is a lovely place for dinner. Hotel Guests are seated back in the actual Sugar Mill (so romantic) while non hotel guests are seated by the bar on the front porch. The sounds from the ocean are amazing during dinners.

What room did you pick to stay in? The sunsets are amazing from their beach!

Edited: 01 May 2017, 08:51
Reply to: Dinner attire in general?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tortola
Recent Conversations