We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diving w/Snorkeler?

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Topic
Diving w/Snorkeler?

Hello! My boyfriend and I are coming to Tortola for a few days next week - very exciting! I'm an advanced certified diver and would very much like to go on at least one two-tank dive trip. He is not certified, but enjoys snorkeling. We are staying at Sugar Mill in West End, so I believe Blue Water Divers is the closest option? Right?

Anyways, I asked if they allowed snorkelers to accompany divers (I don't want to leave the bf alone - it's our first vacation together) and they said only if there is room. I was going to take the risk and go forward with them, but they just informed me that snorkelers aren't allowed in the water when we are diving, only during surface intervals. That seems really lame for him! Can anyone recommend another dive shop that is more accommodating to non-divers/snorkelers? THANKS!

3 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
619 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Diving w/Snorkeler?

You have to follow procedures...

Here is how we handled that same situation....only we were going to Australia.

I had years of snorkling experience, hawaii, tahiti, tonga, and thru much of the caribbean. most of it while skippering sailing vessels . I was also raise and lived in the beach cities of orange county california. So, quite a bit of ocean swimming and body surfing experience . felt very comfortable in the water, pool or ocean. But, always had a great deal of respect for any alien environment....land , sea , or air.

Erica came over, and said. "Since we are going to Australia a 30 day vacation, and skippering the Whitsunday Islands for two weeks, How about we get you SCUBA certified here, thru a PADI Dive School, none of the resort course program.

Erica was already PADI certified up thru Rescue Diver, but had not been diving in some time, so she also took the PADI course along with me. Now , that is being together, and she got back up to speed and refreshed. We had a great time taking the lessons together. Makes for better buddy diving as well .

So, I signed up, and began several weeks of classes, pool dives, study,written tests from the dive manual, and eventually our ocean dives at Catalina Island. Boat and shore entries. Took the tests and was certified PADI OPEN WATER .I loved it and worked hard, and studied, and took SCUBA diving very seriously.

Well, in Austraiia , we also booked a 4 day live aboard dive trip on board the SPIRIT OF FREEDOM, a 120 foot luxury dive boat and dove the Great Barrier Reef and the Coral Sea. What a way to start. Fantastic.

Two years later, we returned to AU for more adventures, and also dove with the same company on board the Spirit of Freedom, all on the Great Barrier Reef.

Actually, I had excellent training back on the mainland, and when first being interviewed on board the Spirit of Freedom, , I told the dive master that these would be my first dives since certification, and I would like to go along with a guide. Well, they had several guides and my request was well taken care of. Actually thanks to my serious training, I felt totally at home in the ocean, followed all of the procedures, and had an amazing, experience.

We were well ahead of our planned vacation date, and all worked out . Depending on your friend's interest and determination and motivation you can also do the same thing.

Our fav snorkeling sites, where we also encounter SCUB divers. These are boat dives due to their off shore locations.

MONKEY POINT / GUANA ISLAND. : Excellent snorkeling and diving. Boats only. Very few moorings, so not masses of fin kicking, water splashing, human torpedoes. Here we see the colorful reef fish, on up to large Tarpon. Always one of our must do stops during our two week sailing vacations.

INDIANS AND PELICAN ISLAND : one mile off the Bight at Norman Island. More great snorkeling and diving, Lots of marine life., several different corals, and sea fans.

SALT ISLAND: the wreck of the Rhone ( deep) and the shallower Rhone Reef. The Rhone is perhaps the most impressive ship wreck in the entire Caribbean. Rhone Reef : Coral encrusted caves, hard and soft coral, fish, turtles, and maybe a passing shark .

The CAVES at treasure point at Norman Island, Large variety for the underwater photogs plus plenty of fun for snorkelers and divers, schools of fish, and an enjoyable time, but better at the Indians and Pelican.

There are many more SCUBA dive sites, that,, if the certification works out, the Dive Boats can take you .

There are many different dive companies.

We have a different situation in that we skipper a 36 foot sailing vessel, and now a days just snorkel, so we can enjoy the dive sites on our own. Land based, pretty much going to be on Dive Boats, or Snorkel Boats.

Our next BVI sailing vacation is in a little over one week away. All set, only have to pack our one each carry on.

Have fun, and enjoy .

Boston
Level Contributor
6,459 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Diving w/Snorkeler?

Try Dive BVI, they have a great reputation and at least some of their trips take both snorkelers and divers.

http://divebvi.com/bvi-boat-trips/

You might have to go out to Scrub to meet them or at least Trellis Bay.

Weatherford, Texas
Level Contributor
246 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Diving w/Snorkeler?

If I'm not mistaken it's called the Safari Trip through Dive Bvi. We went as a family with divers and it's a 2 tank morning dive. A separate instructor takes snorkelerd out during each dive. We had lunch at Cooper Island. Then there was one last snorkel stop after lunch (no dive).

Reply to: Diving w/Snorkeler?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tortola
Recent Conversations