We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip planning - your thoughts

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
77 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Trip planning - your thoughts

We are staying a week at Sugar Mill - arriving on July 3. Have our rental car all set up with Jerry who will pick us up on the last ferry from St. Thomas.

Beach plan - Smugglers, Brewers, Long Bay, Elizabeth, Apple, and CGB

Restaurant plan - Elm fro BBQ on Sunday, Stanley's for a burger while at CGB, Sebastians for Breakfast, Quitos for some music, Pussers, The Pub and of course right there at Sugar Mill - any other great Breakfast places as we like to skip lunch after a great bfast.

Activities - timing is right for a Bomba's Full moon on the 7th, either White Squall or Patuouche for the Baths, Hike up Sage Mtn and of course snorkeling at the above mentioned beaches.

Needs: on the first night want to grab some Caribe and limes, waters, snacks and Cuban cigars for the room - where to buy?

Anything we are missing - family of four with college age kids - just love hitting different beaches, seafood, relaxing and a few drinks.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
U.S. Virgin Islands
The Baths
The Baths
2,533 Reviews
Virgin Gorda
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
77 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip planning - your thoughts

OH - and a big thanks for providing all the information to make this plan.

I checked the cruise schedule but it isn't showing anything for that week in Road Town - is that possible? I just want to plan around cruise ships and stay away from CGB and Long Bay on those days.

THANK YOU!

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip planning - your thoughts

The Cuban cigars are getting awfully expensive,thus the quality(freshness) has gone way down. Best QUALITY cigar is at Pussers in Sopers Hole,but price may very well shell shock you. As for snacks and beer, if you go about 100 yards past where you would turn to go over the hill to Apple Bay, there is a One Mart on the right hand side with everything you listed.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip planning - your thoughts

docsaba,

Sounds like a good travel plan and also sounds like you are being flexible. I think you can find a cruise schedule when you get to Tortola in order to be certain about that week in July.

Regarding a snorkel day sail to the Baths, I would see which charters are also going to the Dogs. When we stayed on Peter Island a couple of yrs ago, we did a day sail with Patouche to the Dogs and Baths and both of those are very good snorkeling sites, the Great Dog site, in particular, is one of the best snorkel sites I have done in the BVI:

…smugmug.com/gallery/…128431373_8AAMo

I would also consider catching the ferry from the West End (Soper's Hole) to JVD. White Bay is one of the best beaches in the Caribbean, and your college age kids will really enjoy Soggy Dollar Bar on White Bay

http://www.soggydollar.com//soggydollarbar/

and Foxy's on Great Harbour http://www.foxysbar.com/ They are 2 of the most well known bars in the entire Caribbean.

Enjoy your trip, alashas http://honeymoon2.smugmug.com/

Mentioned in this post
Tortola
Tortola
British Virgin Islands
The Baths
The Baths
2,533 Reviews
Virgin Gorda
Peter Island Resort and Spa
Peter Island Resort and...
969 Reviews
Peter Island
Soper's Hole
Soper's Hole
279 Reviews
Tortola
White Bay
White Bay
616 Reviews
Jost Van Dyke
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Foxy's
Foxy's
663 Reviews
Jost Van Dyke
brooklyn, ny
Level Contributor
438 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip planning - your thoughts

docsaba,

your itinerary sounds like ours. we're flying in july 4 for a week. but we're staying by smuggler's cove. have a great trip!

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip planning - your thoughts

lindsayandchris,

Where are you staying at Smugglers? We were the first family to stay in Sade Villa when it came on the market in '06. Smugglers is a great beach!

Take care, alashas http://honeymoon2.smugmug.com/

tortola
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip planning - your thoughts

Yes - Surfing lessons (if tehre is some small swell) - windsurfing lessons - skateboarding, wakeboarding, waterskiing - all with Island Surf and Sail at Nanny Cay, Day sailing, Scuba Diving - endless opportunities! Island Surf and Sail also rent kayaks by the week with free delivery. Any about BVI, please ask.

Mentioned in this post
Island Surf and Sail
Island Surf and Sail
264 Reviews
Tortola
ohio
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip planning - your thoughts

We are in Tortola right now. Took a day sail with Gary of Karula charters located in sopers hole. Sailed and snorkeled the caves and the indians.We highly recommend this charter. We were waited on hand and foot. All the rum punches beer and sodas we wanted. Gary and first mate Al are alot of fun and very experienced sailors. After our first snorkel we were suprised with a nice display of cantalope, pineapple, and watermelon.A gourmet lunch was provided(we said the same thing-yea right gourmet lunch?)But we were wrong. Gary's wife is and excellent chef and everything was fabulous. All this for only 110$ If you are going on a day sail and snorkel you won't be disappointed here. Go to karula.com for more info.All the beaches are nice but you must spend a day at the baths.30$ ferry and 6$ round trip cab to baths. It is breath taking. The hike to sage mountain is litteraly that a Real hike. We got half way in 45 min on rough terrain. If your a hiker I would do it but wear the proper shoes and take bug spray. Have lunch at the entrance to the park. The owner of the gift shop and resturaunt is from novo scotia is interesting. Quito's is excellent but go later for dinner. He plays by himself on thursday's but doesn't start until 830. If you have any more questions just ask, after 10 days I've gotten to know this place a little.

Bill

Mentioned in this post
Tortola
Tortola
British Virgin Islands
tortola
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip planning - your thoughts

kuralu.com (not karula.com!)

ohio
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip planning - your thoughts

Sorry, Kuralu.com, and Gary is from Nova Scotia and the guy at sage mountain is from the U.K. My brain is fried from the BVI sunshine!!

Mentioned in this post
Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
164 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip planning - your thoughts

My husband and I spent 3 weeks in Tortola and are currently planning our next trip.

Restaurants: I wouldn't miss Bananakeets (at sunset, of course). Spaghetti Junction, Myetts, and The Last Resort were very good too. (There are also many great places for lunch; we always cook our own breakfasts, so I'm not sure where to get a good breakfast.)

Beach: Josiah's Bay is one of the best (other than Smuggler's).

There's a Bobby's grocery store in CGB that you'll pass on the way from the airport to the Sugar Mill (if you go that way). Not sure if they have cigars, though.

Mentioned in this post
Tortola
Tortola
British Virgin Islands
Josiah's Bay
Josiah's Bay
136 Reviews
Tortola
Get answers to your questions about Road Town