We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virgin Gorda or Tortola?

North Carolina
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Virgin Gorda or Tortola?

Planning a 40th anniversary trip next year. Will be my wife and myself and our two kids and their spouses. Plan to get a beachside villa with pool on one of these islands, Any suggestions on which island and any villas will be appreciated. Virgin Gorda seems more laid back. Are the beaches similar?

Also, any transportation problems from Tortola to Virgin Gorda if we stay there?

Any help is appreciated!

Virginia
Level Contributor
919 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Virgin Gorda or Tortola?

With three couples, you could also look into chartering a sailboat. We had four couples on a crewed catamaran last spring, and had a brilliant time. Most of us had never sailed much, but we all loved it. No need for a pool, the ocean is always available. Our trip included drinks and food. It was like nothing I've ever done before, but we're already talking about when we can go back. One website to look at for a first look is :

http://1cyc.com/

I can't claim to be experienced after just the one time, but I'll be glad to asnwer any questions i can.

Frenchman's Cay...
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Virgin Gorda or Tortola?

Virgin Gorda is definitely more laid back than Tortola, and might have more options for beach side villas.

Every beach in the BVI is different in its own right. Tortola offers more developed beaches than Virgin Gorda, but also still has AMAZING hidden gems, that aren't always in the tour guides (my personal preference). Virgin Gorda has both Devils Bay and Spring Bay near the Baths, which are both stunning, but other than that the beaches are small and can be hard to reach unless you have a reliable 4x4 and adventuresome spirit.

That being said, it all probably depends on what type of holiday you'd like to have. Tortola definitely offers more dining and entertainment options, and several hubs for water sports, day sails, diving and hiking. Virgin Gorda would be the perfect locale if you wish to arrive and simply veg. Bring a few books and decks of cards and do nothing.

On Virgin Gorda, Id recommend

Sol y Sombra (EXCUISITE!!!) set on The Baths

Mahoe Bay - speficially Pelican Reef Villa

Guavaberry Spring Bay (a regular weekend getaway for myself & family)

On Tortola most villas are up in the hills. I'd recommend:

Limeberry House, 5 mins walk to Smugglers Cove

Surfsong is more like a villa resort, but lovely

At Frenchmans we have a small beach and pool and several ocean/beach side villas, both one and two bedroom. We have a restaurant, water sports and plenty more in a very laid back, serene atmosphere. You should certainly check us out too.

brooklyn, ny
Level Contributor
438 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Virgin Gorda or Tortola?

We have stayed at Summer Salt and Sade, both on Tortola w/in walking distance to Smuggler's Cove. Sade was definitely the more upscale of the two but both were lovely.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Virgin Gorda or Tortola?

Thanks much for the info...just what I needed. The two villas I had liked were Pelican Reef in VG and Surfsong in Tortola. Both look great so I guess I need to decide about the atmosphere. We are all pretty laid back so I'm leaning towards VG. Are there any problems in flying into Tortola and getting to VG? From what I read most of the places meet you in Tortola and get you to VG pretty easy.

Thanks again for the info...whichever we choose will be great I'm sure.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Virgin Gorda or Tortola?

Thanks for the info. I doubt I could handle a week on a sailboat with my two kids and their spouses...may need a little more room! Did the sailboat thing years ago with friends of ours that live in St Thomas and had a boat...you are right, it is an unbelievable experience. Did you have any thoughts re the atmosphere of Tortola vs Virgin Gorda? Beaches, restaurants etc? Also, since you are in Virginia I have to Say "Go Heels" even though we are in Greenville (ECU). Thanks again for the info!

Jersey City, New...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,526 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Virgin Gorda or Tortola?

For The Baths and the day trip you can make to Anegada, without a doubt, Virgin Gorda!!!!Going through the caves at The Baths is one of the most amazing natural wonders of the entire Caribbean.Your children will never forget the experience of swimming through the boulders and the adventure of navigating through the caves to arrive on the other side at Devil's Bay.

You can always take the ferry and make a day trip to Tortola but I'd stay on Virgin Gorda. It's only 20 minutes away. Anegada is one of the hidden gems of the region. Take the public ferry and spend the day, starting at Loblolly with lunch at The Big Bamboo, then have transport pick you up and take you to Cow Wreck Beach. You'll have plenty of time if you take the 1st ferry from VG and the last from Anegada which leaves at 4 or 4:30pm.

New Fairfield...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Virgin Gorda or Tortola?

Virgin Gorda is definitely more laid back. Another villa to consider is South Sound Villa. It's got the water on three sides, the infinity pool, lots of room plus privacy. A beach is never far away on Virgin Gorda.

As for travel, ferries run from Tortola to VG. Or you can fly into St. Thomas and ferry over as well.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Virgin Gorda or Tortola?

banker1nc,

It sounds as though VG would be a great island for your preferences. I stayed in http://www.villadelsolebvi.com/ on Mahoe Bay in April and encourage you to take a close look at it. It's just a couple of minutes from the beach and Mahoe has one of the best snorkeling reefs in the BVI. What sets Villa del Sole apart from nearly every other rental property is a large, elevated gazebo with great views and wonderful breezes. Here are some photos:

…smugmug.com/gallery/…526071678_bAtXK

By the way, I highly recommend Joan Soncini's book:

http://www.soncijo.com/VirginGorda_Book.html With several hundred photos, it is an excellent introduction to VG.

Congrats on your 40th, alashas

9. Re: Virgin Gorda or Tortola?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2010, 14:17
Get answers to your questions about Road Town