We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Trinidad and Tobago safe for tourists?

London, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Is Trinidad and Tobago safe for tourists?

Hello,

My fiancé and I are planing a wedding and would love to get married in Trinidad or Tobago in May or June of next year. Right now, we are leaning toward Tobago. I was thinking of renting a house and having our wedding there. The island looks lovely but we have come across a few double murders, attacks and other crimes against tourist in both Trinidad and Tobago. I am now a bit worried about the safety of our wedding guests.

How safe is it in Trinidad and Tobago for tourists?

Is one island a more safer than the other?

I read on other travel forums that whites tend to me targeted more than other races, is this true?

Some of guests would be black, Mexican and Asian would they also be targeted for crime?

Do you have any tips or you can offer to avoid being targeted?

Can you recommend areas to stay in Tobago?

Can you recommend places to visit in Trinidad?

Can you recommend any caterers?

Whenever I visit a different country I always try to give back, are there any charities you can recommend I support in Trinidad to Tobago?

Thanks in advance for the help!

17 replies to this topic
1 post
Save Reply
11. Re: Is Trinidad and Tobago safe for tourists?

Any suggestions to rent a car or hotels? Traveling for first time with kids and little unsure of the safety

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
9,062 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Is Trinidad and Tobago safe for tourists?

Linda, do you need them for Trinidad or for Tobago? How many in the group?

Your country isn't under your name so I can't tell if you normally drive on the left or the right side.

Edited: 27 November 2017, 01:23
Trinidad
Level Contributor
19 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Is Trinidad and Tobago safe for tourists?

Have you considered renting a beach front villa as a venue? There are a couple in Tobago Plantations that are lovely. Villa Ohana and Villa Being are lovely villas that are more inland.

1 post
Save Reply
14. Re: Is Trinidad and Tobago safe for tourists?

We are planning to visit Trinidad in Feb 2018. Any recommendations for a reliable car services (taxi)? Thanks.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
9,062 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Is Trinidad and Tobago safe for tourists?

Gowri, when in Feb will you be visiting? The annual Carnival is Feb 12 and 13 and it is very crowded in the weeks leading up to it. And it will also be hard to find accommodation.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Is Trinidad and Tobago safe for tourists?

I think Tobago would definitely be safer than Trinidad, though you should still take all normal safety precautions in Tobago as well. Unfortunately, Trinidad has an very high rate of murder and violent crime for its small population, so I don't recommend going there. People who love to say "crime is everywhere" are totally missing the point. Yes, crime is everywhere, without a doubt, but one has to look at the crime statistics versus the population. In Trinidad, you should not really go anywhere alone/unaccompanied without a local. Its best to travel in the day, and in a group, if possible. Also, avoid wearing any flashy displays of wealth (jewelry, watch, expensive camera, etc.). Tobago is safer, but again, take precautions. Don't go wandering of anywhere that is unpopulated, etc. If you take safety precautions, you should be fine, as it is really a beautiful place.

Trinidad
Level Contributor
3 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Is Trinidad and Tobago safe for tourists?

Hi I'm happy to hear that ur thinking of having your wedding in our beautiful twin Island. I reside in Trinidad and for a wedding I recommend Tobago there are lots of resorts and hotels that are close to the beaches with beautiful golf courses like Mt Ervin hotel to name a few. Yes we may have crime but show me where in the world has no crime. I really do hope you visit and have your wedding in Tobago your family will enjoy it. The idea of renting a house is a great one. Mandelana Grand is beautiful.

Reply to: Is Trinidad and Tobago safe for tourists?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Trinidad and Tobago