We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trinidad Safety

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Trinidad Safety

OK, I've searched this and found several sites that seem to copy each other that say I need to hide in my hotel because there are guys with guns out there throwing debris in front of my car so that they can brutally rob me.

I've been all over the Caribbean and have never felt threatened. I'll be staying at the Hyatt for a week in November and do not want to stay secluded. I always want to go out and meet the people that live in the island I'm fortunate to visit.

So, seriously. Is there anything to worry about walking alone in places like downtown?

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
8 replies to this topic
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
9,219 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trinidad Safety

Yes, at night time.

Trinidad
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trinidad Safety

Hi AhHah,

It's really not as bad as the media makes it out to be. I've lived in Trinidad all my life, but I do not look like a 'local', and I've never been a victim. I also like to travel and explore new places, and just as you do in other places, be cautious and aware of your surroundings. Don't walk with all your cash, keep your valuables safe... basic traveler knowledge. Enjoy the sites, get out and experience the culture. Take the water ferry to San Fernando and visit the Pitch Lake. Experience things as you plan to do.

The Hyatt is situated in downtown Port of Spain. There's not much happening in town after hours, so it won't be advisable to walk into town in the night. As the Guest service agents at Hyatt and they would direct you to great areas. Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
San Fernando...
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trinidad Safety

Hi, I also live in Trinidad and I also travel a lot too I tend to be more cautious abroad than at home so practise the usual sensible behavior and you'll be fine. There's a lot of nightlife in POS to entertain you without you having to go downtown. Downtown itself is petty deserted at night so you'd stand out to the wrong crowd. Do you have friends here? They'll be sure to show you around or check out Island Experiences to organize an itinerary for you. Otherwise send me a message with your interest and I'll be happy to help.

Fargo, North Dakota
Level Contributor
1 post
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trinidad Safety

My daughter will be traveling to Trinidad in March with a missionary group from her college. I am super nervous for her safety. They plan to go door to door in pairs to spread the word of God. She is a small blonde hair blue eyed young woman from the Midwest. Any advice or words of wisdom to share?

Thanks from a super concerned mom!!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
9,219 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trinidad Safety

4fargo ... if the group is all girls they should go about in fours, at least, and never when it is dark. Will they be guided by anyone local who are also part of the missionary group?

Edited: 07 December 2017, 07:47
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trinidad Safety

I am a woman from the States and lived in Trinidad for 2 years. I never felt threatened, but I followed some rules of thumb for anywhere I am. I would echo most of what everyone else said (which goes for most countries)....

1.Women should be in groups when going out at night.

2. Don't go to any area that you are unfamiliar with. There are a few "rough" areas of POS. I don't think there would be any reason for anyone to be in these areas. I went all around POS during the day and never felt unsafe.

3. Be aware of your surroundings.

I have traveled quite extensively, even around the Caribbean. I didn't feel like Trinidad was any more unsafe than anywhere else I have been.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Level Contributor
3 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trinidad Safety

How long. Is reasonable stay if I have time and why are some of the “not miss” places?

Aj

Damascus, Syria
Level Contributor
4 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trinidad Safety

I have been in Port of Spain before. City around the city center and other lighten main street, you will ok.

Don't show expensive stuff

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Reply to: Trinidad Safety
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted