We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips in POS and the rest of the island?

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Day trips in POS and the rest of the island?

We are two thirty-something females who will be spending a week in Trinidad and Tobago in early April. We will be in Tobago for the middle of the trip, and will only have two full days - a Sunday and a Friday - to visit Trinidad. As we have been warned against public transportation and in some cases, taxis, I was wondering if anyone knows of any reasonably priced day tours/bus tours of Trinidad offered, perhaps through a hotel or local visitor center? We are interested in learning about the history and culture of the islands, and perhaps visiting pitch lake (is it worth it?) or one of the nature preserves. Can anyone recommend a safe way for two females to visit Trinidad in two days and get the most out of it? I expect we will get all of our scenic hiking and beach relaxing done on Tobago and we'll have a car rental there. It's Trinidad I am having a harder time trying to figure out. Any advice would be appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Tobago
Tobago
Trinidad and Tobago
Trinidad
Trinidad
Trinidad and Tobago
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips in POS and the rest of the island?

One more thing...does anyone know anything about the Public Transport Service Corporation (PTSC) bus tours? They seem to offer some interesting and inexpensive tours of the island...

www.ptsc.co.tt/index.php…

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips in POS and the rest of the island?

I would definitely give the Pitch Lake a miss. I went there many years ago - a complete waste of an afternoon.

Much more interesting is a boat trip through the Caroni Swamp to see the Scarlet Ibises returning from Venezuela in the late afternoon/early evening.

Mentioned in this post
Caroni Swamp
Caroni Swamp
241 Reviews
Trinidad
Venezuela
Venezuela
South America
3. Re: Day trips in POS and the rest of the island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 June 2009, 21:17
Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trips in POS and the rest of the island?

Indigocat, check your privage messages.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trips in POS and the rest of the island?

Thank you for the responses and advice - we are really looking forward to this trip!

T & T
Level Contributor
106 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trips in POS and the rest of the island?

Indigocat,

My sister and her family visited the pitch lake in December and they really enjoyed it, they used one of the guides available at the lake who was quite knowledgeable.

I have used the PTSC for tours and found them to quite good.

The asa wright nature centre, caroni bird sanctuary, pointe a pierre wild fowl trust centre are all worth a visit, plus there is floating temple in the sea - i think the PTSC has tours to this location.

enjoy your trip.

Trinidad and Tobago
Level Contributor
19 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trips in POS and the rest of the island?

Try to book a tour with Nanan's Tours at Caroni Swamp. Mr. Nanan was/and is instrumental in preserving Caroni and has a wealth of information about Trinidad's wetlands, specifically Caroni. I am a Trinidad resident and a teacher who has taken various tours with and without students, to check the quality of information and service. Mr. Nanan is excellent!!!

Otherwise, a trip to Asa Wright Nature Center is definitely a must. It's far to the east of Port of Spain, but on the way you would get a good sense of the Trinidad that exists away from the city. Once there, you will see an abundance of birds and other wildlife in a preserved area...you can take hikes that are easy or stay in the "big house" and rest on the porch, viewing the birds. The food is exceptional, so plan to go in the early morning then eat lunch there.

Mentioned in this post
Caroni Swamp
Caroni Swamp
241 Reviews
Trinidad
Trinidad
Trinidad
Trinidad and Tobago
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trips in POS and the rest of the island?

Thanks again for all the advice. We just got back from the islands late last night and had an amazing time! Will post details and give plugs soon.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
6 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trips in POS and the rest of the island?

Hi I am going to Trinidad & Tobago in three weeks. We are also two females in our mid tweenty, please give us some advice. Please post pic from your trip, I would love to see them!

Mentioned in this post
Trinidad
Trinidad
Trinidad and Tobago
Tobago
Tobago
Trinidad and Tobago
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trips in POS and the rest of the island?

I saw in another post that your primary purpose for this trip is to party. My primary purpose was to relax, lay low, and see the beauty of the islands. I don't know that I have quite the right advice for you...I was avoiding what you are seeking...

;