We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips in POS and the rest of the island?

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Day trips in POS and the rest of the island?

We are two thirty-something females who will be spending a week in Trinidad and Tobago in early April. We will be in Tobago for the middle of the trip, and will only have two full days - a Sunday and a Friday - to visit Trinidad. As we have been warned against public transportation and in some cases, taxis, I was wondering if anyone knows of any reasonably priced day tours/bus tours of Trinidad offered, perhaps through a hotel or local visitor center? We are interested in learning about the history and culture of the islands, and perhaps visiting pitch lake (is it worth it?) or one of the nature preserves. Can anyone recommend a safe way for two females to visit Trinidad in two days and get the most out of it? I expect we will get all of our scenic hiking and beach relaxing done on Tobago and we'll have a car rental there. It's Trinidad I am having a harder time trying to figure out. Any advice would be appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Tobago
Tobago
Trinidad and Tobago
Trinidad
Trinidad
Trinidad and Tobago
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Day trips in POS and the rest of the island?

That being said, I have some logistical advice...

It seems that you can get just about everything on Tobago that you can in Trinidad, plus the stunningly beautiful beaches. To get to the best beaches in Trinidad, you need a car and you probably don't want to deal with a car in trini because the traffic is a nightmare. Driving in Tobago is not quite so stressful. I had planned on two days in Trini only bacause I was visiting a friend but ended up staying only one day there and an extra day on Tobago because it is such a paradise on earth.

My advice would be to skip Port of Spain altogether and fly straight to Tobago. You can surely find places to party the night away in Crown Point and then a gorgeous sandy beach apon which to sleep it off.

In the long run I expect that would be less expensive, too.

Mentioned in this post
Tobago
Tobago
Trinidad and Tobago
Trinidad
Trinidad
Trinidad and Tobago
Trinidad and Tobago
Level Contributor
19 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Day trips in POS and the rest of the island?

Trinis spend most Sundays with church and family and most stores are closed, although some malls are open short hours. It's pretty quiet around town, so that would be a good day if you want to go to Asa Wright Nature Center or Caroni Swamp, good day trips. But getting the transportation can be a bit tricky. You would have to hire someone ahead of time. Sadly, Trinidad, especially, does not have a lot set up outside of a stay at a hotel, although they are working on a cultural center.

Of the two, I would say the Friday would be your best bet...the various bars and clubs are jumping on Fridays, starting in the early afternoon with after-work "limes." Partying goes on until the wee hours...You may also, depending on the dates, find a pan event to take in at a local panyard. Again, you must be careful...best to go with a trusted guide as some areas can be "rough" and as tourists, you are a bit at risk.

The area has plenty of upscale clubs, as well as

Mentioned in this post
Caroni Swamp
Caroni Swamp
244 Reviews
Trinidad
Trinidad
Trinidad
Trinidad and Tobago
Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
6 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Day trips in POS and the rest of the island?

Thanks for the response.

14. Re: Day trips in POS and the rest of the island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 November 2009, 13:25