We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grocery shopping in Tobago

Rock Hill, South...
3 posts
Save Topic
Grocery shopping in Tobago

I am staying in a condo at the Magdalena resort where is the best place to go get groceries. Many thanks. BW

6 replies to this topic
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grocery shopping in Tobago

There are a few food stores quite close by. Moorshead Supermarket is a small but very well stocked shop that is about 8 minutes away by car. If you go back onto the main road heading back towards Crown Point turn right onto the Shirvan Road and then right again just past the B Pub bar ( a nice little bar with friendly staff). Moorshead is next to the cemetery. They carry all sorts of products but loads of English and American brands.

For fresh vegetables you could go to the market which is held every Sunday in Scarborough centre. It is a fresh produce market and very good, again about 10 mins drive from where you are staying. For fish straight from the sea take a trip down to Buccoo where you can sit at sunset with a beer and wait for the fishermen bring their catch in. It's a very popular spot for both tourists and locals alike and you will get some really lovely fresh fish. There is also a meat farm ( I know funny and basic name) just outside Buccoo . If you take the turning on your left just past the B Pub it will take you onto a back road that leads to the meat shop, there are signs for it by the road side . Maybe someone else on this site can give you the road name as I don't know it. You will get A grade American and South American streak there as well as really juicy pork chops. It is all frozen but is as good a quality as you will get anywhere. For fresh and tasty dips ect pick up some fresh hummus or Aubergine dip from Skewers at Crown Point. We often buy that and their tase flat bread on our way back from Pigeon Point and have it as a healthy and oh so tasty pre dinner alternative to potato chips. It comes in little tubs and keeps for a couple of days. Good to eat with raw carrotts. Really jealous of your stay. Enjoy!!!

Mentioned in this post
Buccoo
Buccoo
Tobago
Pigeon Point Beach
Pigeon Point Beach
1,055 Reviews
Tobago
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grocery shopping in Tobago

Sorry the fresh produce market is on aSaturday morning not Sunday.

Oxfordshire, United...
Level Contributor
64 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grocery shopping in Tobago

Nothing more I can add to that very comprehensive and helpful answer ....or maybe don’t forget your shopping bags!

I have an electronic map of Tobago that may help you with some of these locations but otherwise you can get a paper one in the arrivals hall or hotel. On this very wet miserable day in England, I too am looking forward to heading for Tobago at the end of the month.

Mentioned in this post
Tobago
Tobago
Trinidad and Tobago
Rock Hill, South...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Grocery shopping in Tobago

Thanks for your help .

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grocery shopping in Tobago

Hi James O , if you are a frequent visitor to Tobago do check out my place Ginger Lilies Villa which is quite close to Moorshead Supermarket.which is why I know all the food places to shop. We visit about three times a year but it is never enough. Have a great stay too at the end of the month. There is also a place in the hills ( a little farm ) that sells the best home made goats cheese. My husband has been many times ( he goes on his bike) but I could always ask him where that is .

London, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grocery shopping in Tobago

I recommend the 'Pennywise' Supermarket in Canaan, on the main road from the airport. It has just about anything you might need and you can stock up on the way to your property. Buy your fresh fruit and vegetables from the many stalls along the same road, as the supermarkets have very little in the way of fresh green grocery.

Reply to: Grocery shopping in Tobago
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted