We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Status after Maria

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,178 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Status after Maria

Had a msg from Grand Turk Diving...some good news some sad...GT Dive is standing seawater came in....Salt Raker lost parking lot across the st and bldg. could be in danger of going into the sea...hoping to shore it up before more erosion. Some seawall in Town gone as well....not sure about Sandbar..Atrium Roof and second floor gone...pray for Our Friends on Grand Turk tonight! And wishing all further storms away!

Mentioned in this post
Grand Turk
Grand Turk
Turks and Caicos
31 replies to this topic
Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
15,752 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Status after Maria

Not much is being said about GT--thanks for update

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,178 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Status after Maria

No hard to get much news.....rood on Sadlers gone, seawall in front of Treasury down. Hoping no more damage from the back of the storm!

Halifax, Canada
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
3,056 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Status after Maria

Update-

"Report is no one killed, no one injured. Lots of sand everywhere. A few more boats in North Creek flipped or sunk. Manta House reported OK, Crabtree reported OK. Osprey OK but office damaged and Atrium was wiped out in Irma, further beat up by Maria. Recovery will be a very long and steep road.

Airport is closed and will be for a while. No word on cruise center yet.Cell phone service seems to be sort of working. No Internet as yet. No power either.

Salt Cay is low on or out of food and bottled water. And no way to get any there as the seas are too rough and there is no helicopter in the Islands. They do have phones working so I assume Government knows about it."

Mentioned in this post
Manta House
Manta House
108 Reviews
Grand Turk
Osprey Beach Hotel
Osprey Beach Hotel
299 Reviews
Grand Turk
Salt Cay
Salt Cay
111 Reviews
Salt Cay
Providenciales
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
4,452 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Status after Maria

There are plenty of helicopters on island and have been since Irma. Currently there are a couple of big Chinooks that seem to be running non stop. There is a helicopter full of supplies and military guys that left this morning to go to Grand Turk.

Mentioned in this post
Grand Turk
Grand Turk
Turks and Caicos
Middle Caicos
Level Contributor
1,184 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Status after Maria

Saw a Chinook flying low over Bambarra Beach this afternoon. Glad they are around to help, very cool!

Salisbury, Maryland
Level Contributor
3 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Status after Maria

National Museum on Grand Turk: status following the storms?

Mentioned in this post
Grand Turk
Grand Turk
Turks and Caicos
Halifax, Canada
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
3,056 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Status after Maria

I haven't heard or seen any info on the museum. My 'guess' based on Duke St/ Front St. damage is that there probably are roof issues and maybe some damage to the front porch area....again, just a guess based on pics and videos I've seen on GT. Hopefully someone can confirm for you.

Good news.....a bit of electricity starting on GT. The military is REALLY stepping it up and helping to rebuild GT!

Waitsfield, Vermont
Level Contributor
82 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Status after Maria

It's real bad. I got back a few days ago. Museum looked fine to me from driving by. No idea about water getting in. Maria really pounded the west coast with some water. The seawall in front of the treasury did technically "fail" but its not like the wall fell into the sea or anything. There's just a lot of damage below water line.

Bottom line, please go to GT once folks are ready to take reservations. The Osperey lost the roof on the atrium but most of the beach side rooms were in good shape. The dive shops need business, everyone does I guess. For now, if you'd like to go, definitely make a solid plan to bring more resources than you will consume on island. It's pretty rough right now.

The cruise port is almost undamaged, I'm hoping they do the right thing and start sending ships. It's impossible for an island like GT to "rebound" without the tourism dollars. Keeping people away just compounds the problem.

The royal marines and engineers are working hard to get the basic services restored. I think most people will be able to enjoy the island in a tourist capacity by november. Spend that money people!

Salisbury, Maryland
Level Contributor
3 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Status after Maria

Thank you!

Salisbury, Maryland
Level Contributor
3 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply