We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Old Timers of GT Please Reply

Fredericksburg...
Level Contributor
120 posts
8 reviews
Old Timers of GT Please Reply

Hello..... Please comment on the Article above mine (. The Do Not Stay Here ) , the one of #75 as She seems to tear GT apart and with my upcoming visit I would enjoy being shown that She is wrong about GT..... Looking forward to learning from those that have spent time on the Island.... Thanks..

15 replies to this topic
Finger Lakes Wine...
Level Contributor
9,091 posts
47 reviews
1. Re: Old Timers of GT Please Reply

Maybe Maca should answer this post.

Mike

Raleigh, NC
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos, Providenciales, Grace Bay
Level Contributor
3,824 posts
306 reviews
2. Re: Old Timers of GT Please Reply

Hey Mike, are you sayin' Maca is old?

Just kidding, she would be a good person to ask about GT.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,761 posts
58 reviews
3. Re: Old Timers of GT Please Reply

Hi Creekhouse- I remember you from helping me on Bequia forums. Like you, we have not been to GT yet and have a trip planned Nov. 20-27 but I am convinced that it will be our kind of place. In the OP's post of that thread, he commented on the water not being potable- really?? I have been all over the Caribbean and I am very happy to buy bottled water in places that the water is not ok to drink. The wifi is not so good? LOL- I do not come to the islands to spend all my time surfing the internet. Phone service spotty?? so sad for others but I don't intend to use it. Hmmm... food or service not up to your expectations? Get on island time and try some new dishes while you are at it. Groceries don't have what you wanted- why not buy what you can find and create new dishes- so much fun. Last and hardest to deal with- he actually feels bad because he is exposed to poverty? Really?? I can't even begin to say what I want to say to that man who is offended by poverty anywhere in the world today much less in a small country recently impacted by life shattering hurricanes. I don't know where in Canada he lives but here on the Gulf of Mexico in the US I have seen what hurricanes do to poor and rich alike- maybe he has no idea of the stamina, strength of character and pure determination it takes to pick oneself up, dust off and build back after being flattened by a force of nature of monumental proportion. Kudos to those people who are building their lives back in the day- to- day gritty frustrating experience a post hurricane life is. It takes a long time even in this part of the world so I know it takes years and years to "come back" in more remote areas like GT.

When we travel, we love the simple pleasures of a beautiful place, friendly people, and experiencing a life different than our own at home while on holiday. I cannot wait to see Grand Turk. I hope you do not let someone else's negativity hold you back from experiencing it as well!

Finger Lakes Wine...
Level Contributor
9,091 posts
47 reviews
4. Re: Old Timers of GT Please Reply

THG

Too funny. Anywho......Maca is the one poster I see posting about GT.

That is her "happy " place.

Mike

Waitsfield, Vermont
Level Contributor
117 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Old Timers of GT Please Reply

that lady needs serious help and has a huge axe to grind with the humpback dive crew (they've since changed location, at least partially due to her). It's not worth defending against what she has to say. there's plenty of posts that cover what you're looking for. It's too bad this all made it do a public forum.

I do agree being a vegan on GT would basically be as difficult as it gets. Thank god for fresh fish and bbq.

Fredericksburg...
Level Contributor
120 posts
8 reviews
6. Re: Old Timers of GT Please Reply

Thanks Bruce.......Good to hear.......

Halifax, Canada
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
3,624 posts
5 reviews
7. Re: Old Timers of GT Please Reply

Yes..GT is my 'happy place'..nothing wrong on where everyone finds that place!

Just as long as you do!

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,761 posts
58 reviews
8. Re: Old Timers of GT Please Reply

so true!

Halifax, Canada
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
3,624 posts
5 reviews
9. Re: Old Timers of GT Please Reply

😎😎😎

Detroit, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos, Grace Bay, Grand Turk
Level Contributor
12,572 posts
1 review
10. Re: Old Timers of GT Please Reply

To CREEKHOUSE, (whom- by-the-way has been a member of TA since 2003). Well, I guess I have to come out of my self-imposed hiatus to respond to something I have a handle on. I have been coming to Grand Turk before the U.S. Air Force base @ the South end of the Island closed in 1984( makes me an old timer). I was the was the one who'd met with the Governor @ his Waterloo residence in Grand Turk in 2014 to squelch the dolphinarium project. I have recently visited Grand Turks for about the fifteenth time in the past 4 decades. August 2018 was the most recent(post-multi-hurricane) time I'd visited with my 3 young daughters(their 6th time). My impressions are: Best diving opportunities~~the "Wall" (just 300 yards off of the West coast shore), a modern state-of-the-art 10-bed hospital, a historic lighthouse(which I was able to get up-to-the-top before it closed in 1989), feral donkeys & horses to be fed by concerning, compassionate humans with carrots & Cherrio's, the cruise port center(home of the World's largest Jimmy Buffet's Margaretville), the closed Community college on the northern end by the lighthouse, Cockburn Town(capital), known for famous Duke & Front Streets with their long, streets & old street lamps, Sand Bar owned by 2 sister locals, Gibbs Cay for the ray interaction, JAGS International Airport, Barbie's restaurant(my favorite), the Craft Market on Front Street, etc. Dr. Jim

Reply to: Old Timers of GT Please Reply
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Grand Turk
Recent Conversations