We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Too Much Cruise Ship Activty?

las vega, nv
Level Contributor
490 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Too Much Cruise Ship Activty?

Considering Osprey Resort for early December 2010 vacation for hubby and myself. We prefer a quiet, tranquil atmosphere, no partying, we like to lie on the beach, read our books, meals in restaurants, a golf cart would be nice to tour the island, take a snorkel trip and see some historical sights. But I am seeing so much about the cruise ships that I am now concerned that this island may be way too busy with too many people. Any advice or comments that might help me?

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,041 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Too Much Cruise Ship Activty?

I would not skip Grand Turk. The "cruisers" have a lovely disneyfied "Village" consisting of a huge pool, shops and Margaritaville at the cruise dock. They typically will visit Governor's Beach or take pre arranged tours. The only problem may be that you won't be able to enjoy any tours that day as the local businesses are overwhelmed. The beach at Osprey is often too dull for them... I would go and enjoy. Rent a cart and go up to Pillory Beach for at least a while! Have a meal or 3 at Salt Raker and visit the Sandbar...lovely relaxing spot!

las vega, nv
Level Contributor
490 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Too Much Cruise Ship Activty?

Is the Osprey located far from the Cruise ship dock? Are there restaurants close to Ospey? Where on the island is Osprey? Is there a map that shows resorts, shops, etc. on the island?

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,544 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Too Much Cruise Ship Activty?

We stayed at the Osprey Beach Resort in June 2008. We loved the hotel and the location. It is walking distance to restaurants/town/dive & snorkel operations. Grand Turk is a very sleepy & charming Island. They did a great job with the cruise ship port. We could see the ship at dock but we never noticed an increase in people on the Island. They mostly stay at the cruise ship center. They would have to rent a car or take a taxi to get to town which I'm sure some do. We only noticed an increase of people in the water on their excursions when we were going/returning from our dive trips. There were only 1 or 2 cruise ships that only stayed a day the whole week we were there. We made sure the excursion we did to Gibbs Cay was on a day the ship was not in so we had the Cay pretty much to ourselves. I walked the beach in both directions every day from the Osprey and it always seemed like I had the beach to myself. There may be more people that visit in December however since that is when the whales pass through and it is high season. Definitely rent bicycles/car/golf cart to see the rest of the Island - it doesn't take that long. I would recommend visiting the Turks & Caicos museum (can walk to), visiting the lighthouse (need vehicle to get there) you can walk on paths behind the light house - look for the Osprey birds, look for flamingos in the salinas (can walk to), and do the excursion to Gibbs Cay (oasis divers). Of course, if you are divers, the diving is excellent and quick to get to the sites (3 dive operations all get good reviews). If you want to see pictures, I created a link:

http://grandturk2008tandc.shutterfly.com

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,784 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Too Much Cruise Ship Activty?

I wanted to add to the above. There are a couple of sights that are only open when a cruise ship is at port, so good to take advantage:

Her majesty's Prison

The lighthouse

The cruise port itself, with shops and A Margaritaville

There are days there are 2 ships at port (usually Fridays) but other days either no ship, or a smaller ship, or it leaves by 1.

Here's a list of when and what ships are at port:

http://www.grandturkcc.com/Scheduling.aspx

as everbody above said, at Osprey, you'd never know their's a ship at port, except for seeing from the beach come in.

Also, the day there's 2 ships all day, try to go to Salt Cay for the day! Only a 5 minute flight, and can do as a day trip on Fridays, sometimes Saturdays and Mondays.

las vega, nv
Level Contributor
490 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Too Much Cruise Ship Activty?

Thanks for all the info! How do the flights work, say coming in from Florida? We would actually be flying from Las Vegas to Florida (I assume Florida) then how do you get to Grand Turk?

Providenciales
Level Contributor
1,553 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Too Much Cruise Ship Activty?

Then you would have to fly into Providenciales and then take a puddle hopper to Grand Turk. Providenciales is quiet if you decide not to go on to Grand Turk. No cruise ships.

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,544 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Too Much Cruise Ship Activty?

There used to be a flight from Florida to Grand Turk but I don't know what is availabe now (people we met in Grand Turk flew from FL). We also stayed a week on Providenciales (Provo) so we flew to Grand Turk and back from Provo.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,041 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Too Much Cruise Ship Activty?

For a while Spirit Air flew directly from Ft Lauderdale to Grand Turk before continuing to Provo. Not any more. You need to fly from FLL or Mia to Provo then Sky King to Grand Turk. Provo is lovely but in no way the sleepy island that Grand Turk is. Large Resorts on Grace Bay are the norm on Provo. Osprey Beach is walking distance (easily) to at least 4 restaurants/bars. A bit farther to others. A golf cart rental will take you up to Bohio or to sightsee etc.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,784 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Too Much Cruise Ship Activty?

Sky King no longer exists, but Air Turks and Caicos has numerous daily flights.

Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Too Much Cruise Ship Activty?

you can fly thru charlotte on airwest or atlanta on Delta. This allows you to connect to a flight to grand turk without staying in Providentiales. grand turk is the laidback island with little interference from the cruise ships.

Get answers to your questions about Grand Turk
Recent Conversations