We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to St. Croix

Crossville...
Level Contributor
16 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
First trip to St. Croix

My husband & I (Sr. by age, young by heart) making 1st trip to St. Croix, though it has long been on my list. Don't drive in the Caribbean any longer, and we're renting a condo near Christianstend. Where is the nearest market for food supplies? Is there one between the airport and Colony Cove Condos? Don't seem to be able to find any street maps of St. Croix to get the lay of the land --any ideas on that? One more thing - are veggie stands for fresh produce prevalent as on other islands? Or is the Sat. market the place? Thanks for any info you think might be helpful...don't want to spend whole time hunting for supplies.

Mentioned in this post
St. Croix
St. Croix
U.S. Virgin Islands
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Colony Cove Beach Resort
Colony Cove Beach Resort
97 Reviews
St. Croix
South Bend, Indiana
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip to St. Croix

If you are staying at Colony Cove you will have a couple of options depending on how far you want to walk. FoodTown is on Centerline road and not a very far walk from Colony Cove. We are at Pelican Cove and many people that stay there walk to FoodTown. Pueblo Foods and a small (and I do mean small) strip mall would most likely be within walking distance depending on how young at heart you are. Maps are just not something Cruzan's use :) but when you get to the airport you can pick up the pocket map there and it is a pretty good one. On the way from the airport to Colony Cove you could probably have your taxi driver stop at Plaza Extra which is a very complete store for food and alcohol. There are quite a few veggie stands and fish stands along Centerline Road head west from Colony Cove but not within what I would call walking distance. There is a huge farmers market open on Sat. morning but it is closer to Frd'sted than Christiansted.

Hope you enjoy St. Croix as much as we do and it is too bad that you can't rent a car because the island has so much to offer.

Mentioned in this post
Colony Cove Beach Resort
Colony Cove Beach Resort
97 Reviews
St. Croix
St. Croix
St. Croix
U.S. Virgin Islands
South Bend, Indiana
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip to St. Croix

Forgot to mention that if you haven't already visited the site gotostcroix.com you might look there as there are many many helpful things under the Planning Tab

Crossville...
Level Contributor
16 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip to St. Croix

Thanks so much Lynne, good to know shopping for food when we don't want to eat out will not be a problem! We usually do stop someplace for supplies coming from the airport when we're in the Caribbean...hate to be "cooped up" in a hotel room. Anyway, thanks again...I'm looking forward to St. Croix and we will do some exploring, altho it will be by taxi!

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
St. Croix
St. Croix
U.S. Virgin Islands
New Britain...
Level Contributor
938 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip to St. Croix

Lynne, I think you're confusing the north shore road with Center Line.

South Bend, Indiana
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip to St. Croix

That I am Basserman! Sorry about that.

6. Re: First trip to St. Croix

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2015, 12:16
Get answers to your questions about Christiansted