We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice requested for a diver coming to St. Croix

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Advice requested for a diver coming to St. Croix

This forum has been very informative.

I have been to Mexico, Puerto Rico, Culebra, Cayman,

St. Martin, Roatan, Aruba, Bonaire, Tahiti, Costa Rica, and the Florida Keys. I am a Master Diver and have some questions about where to stay on St. Croix with my wife. We like to go out to eat and explore places and not worry about crime. We are considering a stay at the Buccaneer and plan on renting a car. Any help with the following questions is appreciated:

Dive operator suggestions near Christiansted?

Car rental options for a week at reasonable cost?

Condo on beach or the Buccaneer?

Does St. Croix have crime issues I should know about?

Does Christiansted offer my wife some nice local shopping options?

Are there good places to eat close to each other in Christiansted?

Thank you in advance for and feedback regarding the above questions.

Mentioned in this post
The Buccaneer St Croix
The Buccaneer St Croix
1,481 Reviews
St. Croix
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
Caribbean
Culebra
Culebra
Puerto Rico
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
Aruba
Aruba
Caribbean
Bonaire
Bonaire
Caribbean
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
St. Croix
St. Croix
U.S. Virgin Islands
ib designs
Gift & Speciality Shops
Adorn
Gift & Speciality Shops
Crucian Gold
Gift & Speciality Shops
Wake Forest, North...
Level Contributor
1,320 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice requested for a diver coming to St. Croix

Crime on STX is typical of anywhere else. Just follow basic standard precautions. It shouldn't be an issue where you will be exploring.

Carambola resort has an excellent shore dive to the wall, short swim out, on site dive op for tanks and gear if you need it and you (master diver) wont need a guide (if you have a buddy). It's remote but you will have a car (a must in any case) so not a big deal and it's in between F'sted and C'sted if you want to dive West (calm, reefs, wrecks) and North shore (walls, waves, a wreck or two).

Buc-a-minute is fine if you want a resort, especially with golf. You can find many condo rental options as well and for much less than Buc-a-minute or Carmbola. Pelican Cove is nice.

N2The Blue is in F'sted, Cane Bay Dive shop at Cane Bay, SCUBA and Dive Experience in C'sted. Unfortunately my fav Anchor Dive at Salt River is no more. You'll want to do some wall dives at Salt River or Cane Bay. N2TheBlue has a small boat at Salt River too but it can only go out in small swales so it's hit or miss. More miss than hit I think since the North Shore get's the exposure while West side is more protected. It's not a problem for the larger 42ft-ish boats.

Several restaurants within walking distance in downtown C'sted including on the boardwalk. Shopping there too during the day.

Centerline and Judy of Croix are the typical local car rental recommendations.

Mentioned in this post
Cane Bay
Cane Bay
306 Reviews
St. Croix
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice requested for a diver coming to St. Croix

Great. Thank you for the advice.

Clarks Summit,Pa
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
871 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice requested for a diver coming to St. Croix

Well... I can't help too much with diving advice but depending on when you plan on going to STX might heavily influence where you stay and what to expect with diving. Once again ,I'm not a diver but I do snorkle quite a bit when on STX. That being said the weather conditions make a big difference and I know very well that when the winds are up ,visibility is down and snorkleing is not so hot. Further I do feel that the weather in the off season makes for a better experience all around. Further still ,the rates at The Buccaneer in the off season make for one of the best bargains in the Caribbean. It's a wonderful place and if you do the homework and compare what you get for the $ spent, I dont know how you can beat it. We went at the end of Oct.,last year and got the best deal ever in all of our 20 visits. We booked on Cheap Caribbean out of Newark,N.J for 7 nights. The V.I. gov't had a promotion going on,which they seem to do every year for the last 2 or 3 years, and we paid under $2,600 for 2. In addition to the great rates, we recieved $300 in coupons that were usable all over the island for restaurants,shopping,tours or even your final hotel bill. Bottom line is we felt it was an outstanding deal. For that kind of a deal I can't see why you would want to stay anywhere else. I do believe that most of the better diving is out towards Salt River and the western end ,so if you stay at The Buc,you'll have to drive a bit to get to them. I do suggest that you get a rental car as soon as feasible because it gives you way more flexibility and it's much cheaper than using taxis every day. Once again check the website for The Buc to check out their Treasures package. You can get 2 days free car rental with Hertz at their preferred rates for the balance of your stay. As far as restaurant choices, I can confidently say that they've never been better. More and better choices this last visit than in all of our trips. I've never used this example for STX before but as you're a diver ,I think you'll find that STX is kind of suited to the diver mentality. Please don't take this the wrong way, but the entire island has a neat low key vibe that at least I associate with divers. It's by far our favorite island and I'm sure you'll love it. Good Luck.

Mentioned in this post
The Buccaneer St Croix
The Buccaneer St Croix
1,481 Reviews
St. Croix
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Wake Forest, North...
Level Contributor
1,320 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice requested for a diver coming to St. Croix

and you can use the VI tourism coupons for diving as well so you can get back some of your 11% hotel tax but you need to book the coupon package ahead of time:) Available with many hotels and inns. www.visitusvi.com/package_and_promotions

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice requested for a diver coming to St. Croix

Thanks for the advice. I am going to the Buc during off season and the price is great. Just a bit more than $2,700 for 2 with flights breakfast every day and an additional $250 resort credit. Where can you find the coupons you mentioned?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice requested for a diver coming to St. Croix

Take that back. I do see the web site you attached. Thanks again. Now to find what restaurants my wife and I will like.

7. Re: Advice requested for a diver coming to St. Croix

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2016, 13:16
Get answers to your questions about Christiansted