We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to Eleuthera....what to bring

North Carolina
Level Contributor
174 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First trip to Eleuthera....what to bring

We are visiting Eleuthera for the first time in September 2018 and we need help and any suggestions we can get. We have a home already rented in the Tarpum area. We would like to rent a Jeep for a couple days. My family loves to fish, so any advise on that would be greatly appreciated.

Again, ANY suggestions, comments please send our way!!!

Thanx bunches....

9 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,690 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip to Eleuthera....what to bring

Kean Stubbs - Great Guy - Gave us an excellent 4-door Grand Cherokee.

C242.422.9611 H242.332.0344

K.stubbs2009@hotmail.com

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
72 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip to Eleuthera....what to bring

Bring bug spray with at least 30% Deet.

savannah sound
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip to Eleuthera....what to bring

cash...lotsa.cash

West Olive, Michigan
Level Contributor
105 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip to Eleuthera....what to bring

Truth is, you won't need much. Everyone is different, but when we go, my packing list is:

1) Good shoes for both water and sharp rocks. A lot of the island is sand, but a lot is also a rocky entrance to water. I love my chacos.

2) Snorkel Gear. Whatever you bring will be cheaper and better than what you can rent.

3) A couple of swim suits, a couple pair of shorts, a few t-shirts, a long sleeve shirt, and maybe a rain jacket (but I've never actually used one). Point is, you don't need anything fancy.

4) Cash is a good idea. Many places will take a credit card but many won't. You can use a cash machine on the island, but it can take some work to find one that works and/or has cash available.

5) Sun block - check the thread in this forum for reef safe sunscreen. As far as bug spray goes, we've always stayed on the water and only had trouble if we sit out past dark. All the vacation rentals have had spray if we decided we need it.

grand island, ny
Level Contributor
1,321 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip to Eleuthera....what to bring

Get the Beach Book. Great info on each beach and how to get to each one. I don't know if cell service is available all over the island or not because we didn't bring our phones with us when we were out but either a good map or the ability to use Google maps would also be helpful for those hard to find beaches. Sometimes there are so many paths close together it is hard to know which is the correct one and" maps" would have made it a hell of a lot easier. Bring a soft side/backpack cooler for the beach. It's easier than lugging a hard one around. A Parasheets is a must have for us. We bought one last year and they are great! Sand doesnt stick to them and they fold up to almost nothing. Bring things thst you dont want to buy a quantity of like Ziploc bags, t-bags, your favorite, must have coffee, etc. When we got to Eleuthera the grocery store shelves were a little sparse and we did bring stuff with us which was helpful. You can find most everything you need on the island but it may not be in one place. For us it was easier to bring it than spend our time going from store to store to find it.

Fall River, Canada
Level Contributor
44 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First trip to Eleuthera....what to bring

You can buy pretty much anything you will need on the island. Rock Sound Grocery Store , Midway cost cutters and Eleuthera Supply are well stocked and any of the other stores are good for basic items. We bring drug store stuff - gravol, band aids, antihistamine etc not because you can't buy it but just for the convenience of having it on hand. I would definitely bring bug spray with deet. Also coffee - available but expensive. We've made three trips and pack lighter each time - shorts, t shirts, snorkel gear. In Feb/March bring a sweater just in case a cold front blows through. Bring cash - midway and rock sound grocery accept credit cards but no guarantee the system will be up and running and cash seems to be preferred. Excursions, gas, car rental all cash payments. If you still like to have books vs. an e-reader make sure you bring enough for the trip as we didn't find anywhere that sold books - we did visit the library exchange - Mr. Potcake ran out of books and sharing a kobo just doesn't work.

Southport, North...
Level Contributor
940 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First trip to Eleuthera....what to bring

I would recommend bringing two smallish bottle openers. One for the car and one that gets attached to the house keys.

Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,713 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First trip to Eleuthera....what to bring

Bret, please ... I never met a guy from Jersey who couldn't open a beer bottle on a car-door latch, in one motion ... ;-)

Charlton...
Level Contributor
71 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First trip to Eleuthera....what to bring

If you are going to be eating your own fish that you caught or buying whole fish from fishermen, I'd suggest bringing a filet knife and a paring knife. We usually bring those, and a small portable cutting board to clean fish by the waters' edge.

Ziploc bags too!

Reply to: First trip to Eleuthera....what to bring
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted