We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another Great Eleuthera Trip

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
45 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Another Great Eleuthera Trip

Will post as a reply.

9 replies to this topic
Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
45 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another Great Eleuthera Trip

We are just back from another great trip to the island. After a hellish flight from ATL (including being turned back to ATL in mid-air over Florida because the navigation system stopped working, whereupon the crew then timed out), we arrived Saturday almost 5 hours late. Panicking that we'd be too late to pick up the essentials we'd need to make it to Monday, by which I mean booze, we picked up our rental from Big Daddy's at ELH (love them) bought some emergency rum and beer across the street at Jimmy's and made a quick pit stop at Burchies before hauling it down the Queen's Highway. We made it to GH just in time to get a proper supply of Kalik and more rum at Burrows and pulled into the driveway of our rental in Double Bay about 10 seconds after the sun went down. We stayed at Wish - fantastic house, though I had no idea what anything looked like outside until the next morning. The palapa right on the beach was perfect and the beach itself was spectacular. The house had everything you could possibly need. We saw 3 other couples the entire week, and I'm pretty sure at least 2 of them were the same people. We usually make it to at least a few other beaches and didn't even try this time. We were also adopted by resident beach-cruising dogs, Bizzy and Bob. Like so many men, Bizzy came and went as he pleased, but once Bob had a pork chop and some bacon, he became "Barnacle Bob" the rest of the week and never left, even sleeping on the deck in the evenings. Our fishing trip with Julius Rankine never materialized due to a couple of rough/rainy mornings, but the owner had left some mahi mahi in the freezer and graciously invited us to help ourselves ... so we did. Twice. Best fish tacos ever. To the poster recently asking about fresh veggies, we had tons - pineapple, tomatoes, peppers, etc. Island Farm had a very nice selection, even broccoli (which I personally would only eat in a survival situation, as I regard anything green with deep skepticism). Do not miss an opportunity to try the black olive and rosemary bread there - superb. We also got to check out Midway Cost Cutters - really nice addition to that area, clean and well-stocked. They even had Milk Bones for Bob. I keep saying I'm going to try Cat Island someday, and then I just start planning my next trip to Eleuthera. Can't wait to come back!

Patrick, South...
Destination Expert
for Eleuthera
Level Contributor
1,745 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another Great Eleuthera Trip

Nice report, Thank You.

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1,321 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another Great Eleuthera Trip

Thank you for the nice report. We have been to Eleuthera and Cat. Cat is probably like Eleuthera was before it got popular. You should give it a try. Lots of ruins and beaches too. We stayed at Simplicity on Wilson Bay. Most gorgeous location of all our trips. Check it out on Homeaway.com.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
743 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another Great Eleuthera Trip

Bizzy and Bob are back? That's good news. I haven't seen either of them in awhile.

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
45 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another Great Eleuthera Trip

Bob might be a little, er, "fluffier" than usual. I swear he can smell bacon a mile away, and I couldn't resist that face.

Patrick, South...
Destination Expert
for Eleuthera
Level Contributor
1,745 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another Great Eleuthera Trip

WesternNomad, how was Bizzy? I would really appreciate some up to date info on him, anything. He has a part of my heart. Thank You.

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
45 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Another Great Eleuthera Trip

Bizzy is a total sweetheart! He got his fair share of treats as well. I hope the owner of the house doesn't read this forum, but I wrapped him up in a towel after he got caught in a rain shower and was shivering (washed it, I swear!). After he dried off and had a few hot dogs for sustenance, he was fine. He actually introduced himself before Bob did - I turned around one morning and here's this big shaggy dog staring at me through the door - scared me to death until I realized he was so friendly.

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
45 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Another Great Eleuthera Trip

I have pictures of him but don't think I can post them here.

Patrick, South...
Destination Expert
for Eleuthera
Level Contributor
1,745 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Another Great Eleuthera Trip

Thank You. If you do post pics elsewhere please let us know, would love to see them.

Reply to: Another Great Eleuthera Trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted