We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early Dec. or late Feb.?

Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
Early Dec. or late Feb.?

After a few years of not being on the island this past April's trip has refueled our addiction! We have only visited in April and May and we're wondering how water temps are in either early December or late February. I am assuming early December would be warmer water. I looked online and it appears that is the case. However the water temp stated for when we were there in April varied somewhat.

7 replies to this topic
savannah sound
Level Contributor
2,688 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Early Dec. or late Feb.?

Water temps are ...

Jan1st until May 15th .... Damn cold

May 15th until. Aug 23rd ... Somewhat tolerable

Aug 23rd until Sep 1st ... NICE

Sep 1st until Oct 17th ... Somewhat tolerable

Oct 17th until Dec 31st ... Damn cold

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,554 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Early Dec. or late Feb.?

So speakith the man behind the 'Dots'!

DH - What happened, I thought you were bringing back a new keyboard? Or you just got use to typing with the dots and you have a new keyboard. :-)

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Early Dec. or late Feb.?

I've been in early December and had to wear a shorty wetsuit and I was still cold.

savannah sound
Level Contributor
2,688 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Early Dec. or late Feb.?

It's an I-thingie ...

... (That's a mis-spaced ellipsis)

North Fort Myers...
Level Contributor
1,550 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Early Dec. or late Feb.?

If you have to choose between early Dec and late Feb, then early Dec is the better choice. We spent many winters in the Abacos, which are further north than Eleuthera. Most of the time, early December had decent weather, with the cold weather starting in January. February was always the worst weather. It takes a while for the water to cool off, and by February, it has.

Fall River, Canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Early Dec. or late Feb.?

Depends where you are from and what you consider warm - we've been there the last two weeks of February for the last two years. After the first year we thought thin sleeveless neoprene vests would be a good idea but we didn't end up using them this year as the water was warm enough. Three years ago we travelled mid-March and the water was one or two degrees warmer than Feb. - it was beautiful.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Early Dec. or late Feb.?

Almost June and the water temp in the Ocean is just 81 when I was fishing yesterday, just right now.

Reply to: Early Dec. or late Feb.?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted