We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vacation Rental: Staniel Cay vs. Black Point

Buffalo NY
Level Contributor
21 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Vacation Rental: Staniel Cay vs. Black Point

We have been to Staniel Cay twice, and are planning a return visit. We have stayed at SCYC both times with the all-inclusive plan, but are thinking are renting a cottage instead. We are only looking for something basic (studio type or 1 bedroom for 2 people). Plenty of questions though: Where to get provisions for cooking, where to eat other than the yacht club, which is better for renting (Staniel Cay or Black Point), etc. If we rent on Black Point, does Watermakers land there or do we have to arrange transport from Staniel Cay? Looking for some guidance....

Mentioned in this post
Staniel Cay
Staniel Cay
Out Islands
West Jefferson...
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Vacation Rental: Staniel Cay vs. Black Point

Have you made a decision....Just saw your post. We have stayed on BP last 2 years. Wouldn't stay anywhere else. Let me know if you want any info about BP.

Bonita Springs...
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Vacation Rental: Staniel Cay vs. Black Point

Just curious about why you prefer Black Point. I have been reading a lot about the out islands and Black Point is sounding pretty good to me too. Tell me what you like about it . Thanks!

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,479 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vacation Rental: Staniel Cay vs. Black Point

where did you stay on BP? Does Flamingo Air fly in or who? Boat rentals? I would love more info on here or PM. We have also stayed at SCYC twice and love the area but have only spent an hour or so in BP.

Thanks!!

West Jefferson...
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Vacation Rental: Staniel Cay vs. Black Point

Sorry for my delayed response. BP is only 5 miles away and Flamingo Air flies there as well. Its where many of the SCYC employees live. Its a great community and everyone is so friendly. If you want a real feel for the "true" Bahamas, that is the place. The rentals are relatively new and very nice. You will be more secluded and away from everyone compared to all the people in and out of SCYC. That was most appealing to our family. You can rent a boat and go to all the same places and do all the same things, but while on BP a lot more privacy. Breadboy lives there and owns several of the rentals. Exumavacation.com. The beach on the western end of BP is totally secluded and you can get there by golf cart and the bay where the rentals are located is a great place to swim or just float. I highly recommend it.

Mentioned in this post
Bahamas
Bahamas
Caribbean
Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,479 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vacation Rental: Staniel Cay vs. Black Point

Thanks so much for the reply and info. We met Breadboy/Raymond several years ago and had a nice day trip with him- he was a great guy so I would be happy to rent from him. I will look into it further- I did find the link to the cottages already so I will be bookmarking.

Were you able to buy sufficient groceries on BP to cook some at home? What about restaurants on BP?

we are easy to please, not foodies- love local food places and everyday Bahamian fare. We have been to many of the out islands and know exactly what you mean about "the real Bahamas".

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Bahamas
Bahamas
Caribbean
6. Re: Vacation Rental: Staniel Cay vs. Black Point

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2017, 13:18