We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

January

Centreville...
Level Contributor
1,706 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
January

Would we be crazy to book in January? The timing works out for us, would be nice to escape the cold, prices are lower and it's lobster season. But one good cold front could make it too rough and chilly to enjoy. I know it's a gamble. We have only visited in Spring and summer. Any positive experiences any of you had at this time of year?

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
6,066 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: January

It is a gamble, but it's also a good time of year if the weather is nice. The water is a bit cooler than other times of the year, but not so much to discourage swimming. It's a "shoulder" season between the New Year festivities and the spring season, so less crowds and more places to yourself. And it s a quiet time for mosquitoes and sand flies, so that in and of itself is a huge incentive!

Centreville...
Level Contributor
1,706 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: January

Thanks Dusty. I'm not much a gambler so this is a tough call for me!

Glastonbury...
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: January

I certainly would not if I were in your shoes Kristen!

Not only do you run the risk of having it be a lot windier and chillier than you'd want, but you will have 2 hours less daylight than even in the early spring, let alone July! I;d much rather have it get dark at 8:00 every night on vacation than at 5:45 or 6:00!

That, unlike the weather, is guaranteed of course, since its astronomical, not meteorological!

Mid April to Mid August is my ideal time, with early-mid July being the sweetspot for me.

Edited: 18 April 2016, 01:06
Centreville...
Level Contributor
1,706 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: January

We really want to go in lobster season. I ate it almost every night. And now that you can get lobster salad to go in the picnic lunches...well that seals the deal I think. Also considering early November. And tides have to be right for the sandbars etc. I have already discarded some dates for that reason. So many factors into this decision. Ugh.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
90 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: January

We went first week of April.....they had lobster....it was mmmmmmm.

Glastonbury...
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: January

If its the lobsta you are after too, I would then choose April, since the daylight length and weather will be better then, compared to Jan.

Centreville...
Level Contributor
1,706 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: January

Would have to be early April then I guess since lobster season ends March 31.

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
159 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: January

I just got back April 26th and Lobster was still available every night =) I agree about more sun light. I want to try July next time!

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1,547 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: January

What was the water temp, snorkeljunkie?

Centreville...
Level Contributor
1,706 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: January

snorkeljunkie...I was told that how long the lobster stays on the menu is determined (obviously) by how much they catch. In 2013, we visited in early May and got ZERO lobster. This year, they have enough frozen to last through June!

We went in August 2014 and it was HOT. I like hot so I liked it but others may not. Thank goodness for AC in the dining room now! But our weather and temps in May were just perfect. Water temp was perfect both months. Though the pool is august was more like a hot tub.