We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights

New Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
332 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Flights

I'm coming from Ohio. Does it make more sense to fly to Florida and take watermakers or fly to Nassau and use flamingos ? Can anyone give me a ballpark price round-trip per person for these two?

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Nassau
Nassau
New Providence Island
Lee's Summit...
Level Contributor
158 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights

We flew Watermakers Air from Ft. Lauderdale to Staniel Cay. For the two of us it was $1,323.60 for a round trip.

You have to stop at one of the other Bahama islands on your way to go through Bahama customs.

I think flying out of Nassua to Staniel Cay you will not have to stop for customs.

Have never flown on Flamingo so cannot comment, but Watermakers was very good and professional.

Mentioned in this post
Fort Lauderdale
Fort Lauderdale
Broward County, FL
New Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
332 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights

Wow.. Didn't think it would be that much.

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights

We flew Southwest out of Columbus to FLL (nonstop) and then used Watermakers to SC. It was roughly 1500 total for 2 of us. We used Watermakers just to avoid Nassau because we heard it was much busier with customs, no nonstop available, etc. The Flamingo Air flight would've been cheaper, but then the flight to Nassau would've cost us more, so we just preferred to use Watermakers for that reason.

Mentioned in this post
Nassau
Nassau
New Providence Island
New Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
332 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flights

So both flights combined was 750 pp?

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Flights

I looked at my email receipts to make sure and it was closer to a little over 1600 for both of us. The SW flight to FLL was about 550 total, and the WMA flights were about 1100 total, so it was a little over 800 per person for all the flights. I think there also was a special discount for the WMA flight because we were staying at SCYC, but you can check with them directly to find out about that. All in all, I think it was a pretty good deal considering what I priced tickets for other destinations just in the US alone.

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Flights

Adding that I discovered something a little too late to make use of but might be helpful to you. If you want to use Southwest, there are usually deals out there where if you get a SW credit card, you can get 40 or 50k rapid rewards points just for opening the card and spending a certain amount within a timeframe. Those points would have completely covered our airfare to FLL from Columbus, but it does take a couple billing cycles for them to post so you need to plan in advance if you want to do that. It would have saved us about $550 if I had done it in time. Just an idea!

Mentioned in this post
New Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
332 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flights

Great info.. Doing it over which one of the rooms at scyc would u pick and is it worth choosing one that comes withbbigger boat?

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Flights

This trip we stayed in Key Lime because a friend joined us and we needed 2 sleeping areas. It has a full bath on each level so that was ideal. However, if I were to go back with just the 2 of us I think we'd choose one of the newer cottages, not because they are newer but because of the bigger boat. The smaller boat was fine and all 3 of us went out in it, but one day we did upgrade to the bigger boat and it was so nice having more space and better seating. Plus it seemed a lot less rough/bumpy when moving a little faster. If you are planning on doing a lot of boating, I'd really consider it. On the other hand, we really did love being right on the water in the older cottage. I don't think you can really go wrong either way though! :)

New Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
332 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flights

Thanks so much for the great info.

IL
Level Contributor
24 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flights

We've flown through Nassau coming from Chicago twice now taking Flamingo Air to Staniel Cay. For us the flight was actually cheaper to Nassau than Ft. Lauderdale and then of course the Flamingo Air is much cheaper as well ($225 r/t pp). We can do the whole trip for around $650 pp. The price difference makes us continue to travel this route and spend an extra night at SCYC! Nassau airport is simple. You'll arrive in the international terminal and go through customs. Then, when you fly to SCYC you'll go to the domestic terminal which is completely deserted. We stay at the British Colonial Hilton (20min from airport and taxi is around $27), right in the heart of the port and fun to walk around. You can also go another 15-20 min to Paradise Island. But we prefer to just save our sea life experiences to the Exumas:)

Mentioned in this post
Nassau
Nassau
New Providence Island
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Fort Lauderdale
Fort Lauderdale
Broward County, FL
Paradise Island
Paradise Island