We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pirates Trap Beach/cove

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
158 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Pirates Trap Beach/cove

Okay, not sure if its Pirates Trap Beach or Pirates Cove but it is the beach and cove on Staniel and the cove is just outside of Palm Top house, anyway, my question is this... I was just at Staniel in April and we were in the water in the cove and there were some people on the beach just outside Palm Top and they didn't want is in the cove. When walking on the beach we stayed on the opposite side of the house but they clearly didn't want us there so we left. I just booked our 4th trip and I love that cove and just want to see if it is okay we are there. We never had problems in the past. We like the beach where the old hut thing is but we like to wade into the cove as well. Is that okay to do or does Palm Top own the land all around the cove? Hope this makes sense. Thanks!!

Mentioned in this post
Palm Top Villas
Palm Top Villas
15 Reviews
Staniel Cay
Lee's Summit...
Level Contributor
158 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pirates Trap Beach/cove

We too were there the first week of April. We went to the Pirate (whatever the second half of the name is) beach as well, as a matter of fact, it was one of our favorite places to go, went there a couple of times. First time nobody around but us. The second time there was two other people there, but no one told us or looked at us like we shouldn't be there. I made it a point to look around for a sign that said it was private, but did not see one.

As far as I know anyone can go there. Maybe someone knows otherwise on here.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,429 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pirates Trap Beach/cove

wow, I would be very interested to hear the answer to this. The water itself is certainly public and all beaches in the Bahamas are public (but that is not on an actual ocean beach) but the house was not there the last time we were there or I did not notice it-- is it on the ridge to the right of the cove? There was a new and steep driveway up to something when we went there in the cart (last September) but we did not go any farther than just to park and enjoy the water there. IMO I would be very surprised to learn that they had an actual ownership or claim on the cove there itself- anyone know????

Mentioned in this post
Bahamas
Bahamas
Caribbean
rz3
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pirates Trap Beach/cove

The current through there can get quite swift as the tides change. Were they possibly warning you about that? There's nothing that prevents you from going in there otherwise. The land immediately around those cottages is private, but the cove itself and the rocks to the northeast are public.

Edited: 17 June 2016, 20:12
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Pirates Trap Beach/cove

Does anyone have or is there a map that shows which islands / cays are private? I know everything is public up until the high tide mark, but still would be nice to know.

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
158 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pirates Trap Beach/cove

rz3, nope. Just loud comments and evil looks. We were on the rocks to the left, so we could have stayed sounds like. Thanks for the clarifications, sound like we were okay to be there.

6. Re: Pirates Trap Beach/cove

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2017, 12:17