We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kuredu versus Vilamendhoo

4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Kuredu versus Vilamendhoo

We visited Kuredu in January 2014 as family group of ladies, some of whom are in their 60s.

We selected it because we did not want to go somewhere that was too full of honeymooners, was a little larger and had a bit more to do.

We absolutely loved Kuredu. We stayed in a Beach Bungalow and some of the novices in the group learnt to snorkel in the lagoon in front of the Beach Bungalows, gradually growing in confidence to go out a little bit further and even getting to see some sharks and turtles!

While we were there there was a lot of wind on the jetty side of the island which caused the sea to be quite rough, so only one of the group, a the diver, was able to snorkel the house reef. It also was a little far out for some of the older people in the group.

We are now starting to think of returning to the Maldives. This time around there will be more of us, some of whom have never been to the Maldives before.

On one hand, I am tempted to go back to Kuredu, as we loved it so much and we know what to expect. We loved the food on Kuredu - it was varied and we did not get bored at all. We did not have any issue with the so called class system. We though the service was superb - the linen/towel changes and room service. We had great beach bungalows with open ocean views and it felt quiet and private when we were there.

While to others the snorkelling in Kuredu isn't great, to someone who has never done it, it was still pretty amazing and towards the end of the week we were spending hours snorkelling every day. We did do a boat snorkelling trip, but what is important to us is that we can get up and literally walk straight in and snorkel when we want.

My dilemma is that as some of the group are more novice snorkellers, I think that Vilamendhoo would give the more cautious snorkellers, more varied and vivid snorkelling without taking them out of their depth, literally, but still offer channels for the more experienced snorkellers. I think the majority of the group will end up doing this for hours every day, but as I will be responsible for suggesting which resort to go to, I don't want any chance that it is not as good as Kuredu for those who have not been to the Maldives before, if you see what I mean!

So, for a largish multi generational group, would Vilamendhoo be as good, or in fact better than Kuredu -

As good if not better than Kuredu

Easy, Good Snorkelling, diving available

Good Food

Pool

Not too Romantic!

Thanks in advance....

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kuredu versus Vilamendhoo

Snorkelling is much much better on Vila. Room to reef in under 5 mins in places.

London, United...
Level Contributor
370 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kuredu versus Vilamendhoo

Hi Twinkle888

I think Vilamendhoo would be great for you as the snorkelling is much easier to access and the reef miles better than Kuredu. An alternative would be Reethi Beach as it always seems to have a good mix of ages and the reef is easy to access there too, with a free guided tour every morning for those wanting to build their confidence. It's not as colourful coral-wise as Vila but lots of fish and a friendly vibe.

Have a lovely trip

Paula from Magic of Maldives

4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kuredu versus Vilamendhoo

Thanks both, had not considered Reethi Paula, so will take a look at that now....

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,661 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kuredu versus Vilamendhoo

Hi

We have been to both Kuredu & Vilamendhoo.

The set up on the 2 islands is similar both having an adults only area and multiple pools,restaurants and bars but Vilamendhoo is half of the size so much easier to get around. The food on both islands is the same as is the accommodation.

The big difference is the reef Vilamendhoo has an amazing reef that is only a few metres from the beach and in shallow water.

Given your original comment's I think you will prefer Vilamendhoo over kuredu as did we.

Also check out Komandoo :-) an even smaller but much nicer island..

Check out our review of Vilamendhoo and kuredu...

Good luck

Darryl

Edited: 04 July 2015, 23:27
England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,661 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kuredu versus Vilamendhoo

PS....

Welcome to the forum :-)

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,661 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kuredu versus Vilamendhoo

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g2095767-d…

4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kuredu versus Vilamendhoo

Thanks a lot Darryl! Very helpfu...l off to do some research and talk to the group. ..am sure I will be back with more questions!

8. Re: Kuredu versus Vilamendhoo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2016, 13:18
Get answers to your questions about Kuredu
Recent Conversations