We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from New York to Niagara falls in winter

Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from New York to Niagara falls in winter

Hi!! We are driving from New York to Niagara falls during the first week of january. Any suggestion on places to visit, hotels, what to see? Which lake is a must see?

Thanks!!!

Edited: 17 November 2016, 20:08
6 replies to this topic
New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,997 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from New York to Niagara falls in winter

Is it too late to say don't? The weather could be abysmal and most of the attractions at the falls will be closed.

Lodi, New York
Level Contributor
733 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from New York to Niagara falls in winter

I actually prefer Niagara Falls in the winter because of the lack of tourists, but the weather can be iffy. The NYS Thruway can be a very unpleasant drive during a snow storm.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
8,093 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from New York to Niagara falls in winter

Hi Maria -

Your avatar doesn't indicate where you are from but if you have never driven in winter weather or are not used to it, I implore you not to do the trip there. Check it out when the weather is more reliably favorable (April-October).

Edited: 20 November 2016, 21:15
Buenos Aires...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from New York to Niagara falls in winter

Hi!! im from Argentina and we are not used to heavy snow storms!! Thanks a lot for your message m. We made up our minds we are flying up there!

Brooklyn
Level Contributor
117 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from New York to Niagara falls in winter

I know I am posting late but for anyone else checking in I want to let people know about this drive. We drive from NYC thru to the Falls and sometimes Detroit at least twice a year for years. It is rarely a problem with snow. The falls in fun in the winter but more so in warmer months. I highly recommend a stop in Corning on the way. The museum and the town are fantastic. We are heading up this weekend and I am checking out additional options in the area for fun so thought I would post here. I wonder if there is another place to put trip info for people to find.

The drive from NYC is better done if you can get out of the city and miss rush hour, same with coming back. We tend to go along on route 86/17 instead of the highway through PA. We avoid all the truck traffic and the towns along the way and drive are so much nicer.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
8,093 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from New York to Niagara falls in winter

Hi BrooklynMaMa -

I live here in upstate NY which is a different world weather wise from Brooklyn (much more snow). I would not advise someone from Argentina (OP) to attempt a winter drive when they have never done it. They smartly decided to fly.

As to your question, you could check out Ithaca which is as cosmopolitan as it gets in the Finger Lakes. You would mostly likely be able to walk the creek trail at Taughannock Falls State Park. The Johnson Art Museum at Cornell and Museum of the Earth may be of interest. The gorge trails at all the state parks in Ithaca and at Watkins Glen are closed. You could do the rim trail up to the Lucifer Falls overlook at the north end of Robert Treman State Park if the trail is navigable.

In Auburn, the Seward House is an excellent museum and Harriet Tubman's last home is there as well (being made part of a National Park dedicated to sites related to her). Willard Chapel, the last Tiffany stained glass chapel in the US, is also there.

Did you visit the Rockwell Western Art museum in Corning? Also good.

Letchworth State Park is open year round but you would be limited to certain entrances depending on weather/road conditions in the park and because the two southern entrances are closed in winter.

Wineries are always happy to have winter visitors. Plenty to choose from.

Safe travels!

Edited: 17 February 2017, 05:52
Reply to: Driving from New York to Niagara falls in winter
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Finger Lakes