We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Paz Mexico Safety

Sidney, Canada
2 posts
La Paz Mexico Safety

I’m coming to La Paz in January and hearing more and more brazen killings by the Cartel

if there someone that lives in the area could you give thoughts on safety for being a tourist in the La Paz area

Thanks

Paris, France
Level Contributor
540 posts
1. Re: La Paz Mexico Safety

I don't live in La Paz but we were there for a few days last month, Nov 2017.

We rarely encountered anything unsafe or creepy. Some of us would walk around the neighborhood late at night looking for tacos or cantinas.

There were a couple unusual things that happened to us. I was pulled over by the police for using a cell phone. This was an obvious shakedown since I did not have a cell phone with me. Also, one night a vehicle drove very close to us while out walking. After that we stuck to the sidewalks even though they were very uneven and probably more dangerous than walking in the street.

We stayed in an airbnb on Legaspy (also spelled Legaspi) across the street from the Teatro de la Ciudad. This was a residential neighborhood, about six blocks to the malecon.

earth
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
2. Re: La Paz Mexico Safety

I am in LaPaz on and off. It is not a good feeling to see the narcos asserting control. As far as the uninvolved getting killed, low probability so far. Still going out and walking around at night, and it seems safe enough. I feel more comfortable in LaPaz than in many cities I have been to in the states. Stay tuned.

1 post
3. Re: La Paz Mexico Safety

We have a few cartels fighting for control and over the last 5 years killings on a daily bases have increased. For the longest time they were in the early morning hours and did not impact the communities BUT that has changed. Our last shooting a few days ago that got everyone's attention was a broad daylight attack on 3 police officers in the tourist zone. Last night we had a shooting at the big shopping mall in front of lots of people which created a huge panic. You can google the La Paz news papers or go on facebook and do the same thing and you will see the carnage that is taking place here. BCS is leading the nation with murders and executions right now. ....

News article - metropolimx.com/investigaciones/469/division…

bcsnoticias.mx/tras-ejecucion-de-policias-tu…

http://www.bcsnoticias.mx/policiaca/

https://www.diarioelindependiente.mx/2017/12…

Brandon...
Level Contributor
45 posts
75 reviews
4. Re: La Paz Mexico Safety

This makes me very nervous about my Christmas vacation. I wish they would act right 🙄

Burley
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
5. Re: La Paz Mexico Safety

You should go to Cozumel and stay at Cozumel Palace. I've been 5 times now and feel more safe there than my US town... The people on Cozumel are so friendly and if you stay at Cozumel Palace you can walk to the town very easily without spending money on a taxi. I have NEVER felt unsafe what so ever in Cozumel. Book through Costco or BookIt- they had great deals.

6. Re: La Paz Mexico Safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 December 2018, 13:15
Get answers to your questions about La Paz