We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Real La Paz

4 posts
The Real La Paz

There have been some recent posts about the police bribes here in La Paz that have garnered some attention and, as a resident, I would like to offer a few things:

Bribes (mordidas) happen. This is seemingly unsettling for visitors. It's part of the culture and has been for decades. If you know how to deal with the situation, it's no big deal. Although I have a strong opinion on how tourists react to this, I don't aim to be inflammatory so let me just say this. Please understand that when you travel to a different country, you will be subjected to a different culture. Sometimes that means your comfort zone may be stretched a bit. Please keep an open mind and don't bash an entire city because you may have an uncomfortable encounter with a widely-accepted practice in a culture that is not your own.

I would like to make myself available to anyone who might have questions about anything here in La Paz should you be planning a visit.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
731 posts
56 reviews
11. Re: The Real La Paz

No April, that's the point. You do NOT pay. Stand your ground.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
12,032 posts
12. Re: The Real La Paz

Some of you might be interested in this latest article about LaPaz... It has lots of information and comes from an excellent source.

borderlandbeat.com/2016/05/3-sides-war-for-l…

Houston...
Level Contributor
5 posts
28 reviews
13. Re: The Real La Paz

OK, I'm planning a family trip in early June with my wife and son. Our plans are to rent a car at the airport and drive into La Paz for a few days of diving and fishing. Then head over to Todos Santos to surf for a few days.

What happens if we get pulled over for BS and hit up for a bribe. What can really happen to us? I plan on spending good money with the locals but NO money with crooks.

Jalisco, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
5,508 posts
16 reviews
14. Re: The Real La Paz

I start by giving a big smile and a good morning in English, if he does not speak English he may just let you go.....I always carry an old Drivers Lic. I carry in my visor and give it to him if he asks for it and may say you get it back after the fine, if he insists on a fine request to pay it at the police station, they usually let you go with a warning....paying a bribe prolongs this custom......

Elanora, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
43 reviews
15. Re: The Real La Paz

We will be around the same area in early June, driving around the Peninsula/La Paz/Todos Santos etc, finding waves for my husband.This is the first post where I have started to get a little concerned about us driving for 18 days!! Unfortunately we don't have duplicate D/L's here in Australia, so do we insist on going to the police station??? (If pulled up)

California
Level Contributor
16 posts
16. Re: The Real La Paz

I drove all over BCS alone last year.

I'm a single woman.

I had no issues with anyone as I was usually the only one driving in the middle of no where.

Military checkpoints coming in and out of some of the cities but they were always playing cards or gossiping, in my mind, and just smiled and waved me on.

You will be fine.

I had my normal drivers liscense on me.

Not a duplicate.

Don't overthink it, just go

California
Level Contributor
16 posts
17. Re: The Real La Paz

David,

If you still read here I sent a pm.

Thank you

18. Re: The Real La Paz

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2018, 14:18
Get answers to your questions about La Paz