We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bus to Playa quieta/water taxi to Isla Ixtapa

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
224 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
bus to Playa quieta/water taxi to Isla Ixtapa

Morning All

Back in Z for second time this year. Have Mrs Babba, a recent convert to The Church (cult?) Of Z. She wants to go to Ixtapa Island. I haven't been over there in many years. Certainly will take bus from Centro.

Where do I get the bus? Where do I get off, get water taxi tickets etc??

Thanks

23 replies to this topic
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
3,895 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bus to Playa quieta/water taxi to Isla Ixtapa

You can get the bus on Morelos (at the end of Benito Juarez) in front of the little park across the street from the big Elektra store. Take the bus that says Playa Linda. Once there, check out the estuary with the crocodiles (and turtles, etc) and walk out on the pier for the water taxi to take you to Isla. Enjoy!

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
224 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bus to Playa quieta/water taxi to Isla Ixtapa

Thanks Linda...somehow I knew you'd be the one with the 411 on this!

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bus to Playa quieta/water taxi to Isla Ixtapa

I am curious about this excursion myself in anticipation of our trip next month. Please report back!

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bus to Playa quieta/water taxi to Isla Ixtapa

If you would just google on this forum...you will find lots of information...nothing has changed on going to Playa Linda and to the Isla.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
224 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bus to Playa quieta/water taxi to Isla Ixtapa

But then again, you would actually have to live here to know that. You don't fall into that category.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
224 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bus to Playa quieta/water taxi to Isla Ixtapa

Kodak.....Ill be happy to report back to the gang. Haven't been over the hill in a decade, so it's really all new to me. Stay tuned!

Edited: 03 July 2017, 10:18
Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,184 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bus to Playa quieta/water taxi to Isla Ixtapa

You will find that not much has changed (which is fine by me!).

The pier might be new to you though-I remember when you would have to just clamber into the pangas in shallow water off the beach to get taxied over!

Watch for the bunnies and deer-i saw one of the tiny resident deer this past winter -a first for me!

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
224 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: bus to Playa quieta/water taxi to Isla Ixtapa

Ris...yep, that's my last memory too...Does the bus stop close to the pier?

Bonita Springs...
Level Contributor
1,920 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: bus to Playa quieta/water taxi to Isla Ixtapa

Bus does a turn around about 200 meters from little artisan market. From the market you must walk out another 200 meters to the pier. Also since you were there last, about 10-12 beach restaurants have popped up along the beach just to the north (your right as you walk out). Family own with some really good seafood. We found on that is about 8 restaurants down call Restaurant Linda that is now an annual repeat.

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,620 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: bus to Playa quieta/water taxi to Isla Ixtapa

Babba here's some info for you and some starter info for others that you will know.

We went again this winter after not going for many years. It was as beautiful on the island as I remember and the snorkeling at Playa Coral was excellent. The bus stopped by a viewing platform for the estuary. There is even an Oxxo store nearby to grab something frosty for the bus ride home. (Traveler tip, Oxxo stores are very well air conditioned if you are seriously overheating.) You walk around beside the estuary for possibly a quarter mile to get to the ticket wicket with flea market stalls across the lane . There was far more bird and reptile life than I remembered or possibly we drove ourselves previously and bypassed this area in focusing on parking the car. There are mangroves across from where the bus stops as well and a very beautiful path through the jungle that goes on for miles we were told across from the Oxxo. We are avid snorkelers and really wanted to get to the coral beach but the roseate spoonbills and iguanas and crocodiles kept us happily on the mainland longer than I would have thought. So it's all good but very hot for a lot of walking even in January. I was surprised to see some record attendance numbers set a few summers ago during Mexican summer vacation. Many snowbirds forget the National summer high season that can change conditions at the Isla Ixtapa and Las Gatas to more like a big Sunday crowd.

I will add for those that may not know that you can switch beaches from the coral beach back over the small ridge where the restaurants are to the arrival beach and keep the same tab running for a change of view and/or sun exposure or the user friendliness of the water entry. There is also a third beach with restaurants shown at the bottom in the photo below. It is a very small island. In the past we have walked around the point shown at the bottom left of the photo on a rough path for the adventurous or on a steeper shorter path directly between that beach and playa coral shown mid photo left side.

http://mexico-ixtapa.com/isla-ixtapa/

Reply to: bus to Playa quieta/water taxi to Isla Ixtapa
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted