We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much to order?

Long Island
Level Contributor
666 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
How much to order?

We will be making our first visit to Papa Loca this trip and I am a little concerned about ordering. Is on potato enough food or should I order something else as well. My wife doesn't eat a lot but I am a pretty big eater (I think).

Any recommendations on what you usually order would be great.

11 replies to this topic
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
84 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much to order?

Yes one potato will fill you, they're huge. They also serve chips and salsa (hot) while you're waiting. We usually get the special or the one with shrimp. If we're not too hungry we split one and order some pastor tacos. Only water, soda and beer served here, fyi. Enjoy!

North Bend...
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How much to order?

You have to get the pastor tacos too! They are amazing. Wish I was there now. Love this place!!

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,620 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much to order?

There is a selection of al pastor and other simple meat tacos. They are small and very cheap and you can order one of each or share a potato and a whole selection of tacos. If you plan ahead you can bring a small container to take some tacos home for breakfast stirred in with the eggs. Most tasty. We do this with ceviche orders at seafood places as well.

If you find yourself at the basketball court there is a similar restaurant straight across from center court and across the street and down one block of the pedestrian only road, called Los Oaxacos.

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review…

Dallas, Tx
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
1,543 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much to order?

One potato is more than enough but you have to try their tacos al pastor. Some of the best I've ever eaten as well as their salsa.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
186 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much to order?

And I think Los Oaxacas is better (and cleaner) than Papa Loca and certainly more convenient.

Long Island
Level Contributor
666 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much to order?

Thanks for the recommendations. We will be sure to try both Papa Loca and Los Oaxacas and report back with our preference!

Bonita Springs...
Level Contributor
1,918 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much to order?

I would agree with MNfish aka ZihuaRob. while not as popular (to date) as Papa Loca, Taqueria Los Oaxacas is certainly cleaner and easier to find on Avienda Cuauhtémoc, just up from the basketball court.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
186 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much to order?

It may not be as popular with white tourists, but with locals and Mexican tourists it is much more popular. Full everynight.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,184 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much to order?

but are the potatoes the same style and just as good?

Maybe it's just the time of year I typically go, but every time I've been to Papas Loca we have been the only non- Mexicans there and it has been packed, lol.

Edited: 25 July 2017, 23:04
Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
989 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How much to order?

I'll test it out for you in November and report back! 😎

Reply to: How much to order?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted