We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cuernavaca, Oaxaca, Taxco, or Puebla?

Northampton...
2 posts
Save Topic
Cuernavaca, Oaxaca, Taxco, or Puebla?

Hola a todos!

My husband and I, and our two children (ages 6 & 8) are planning on staying in Mexico for 5 weeks this summer. Our goal is to learn more about Mexican history and culture while simultaneously immersing our kids in Spanish.

We thought we were headed for Cuernavaca but the more I read about other cities/towns, the more charming they seem.

Which of the aforementioned cities would you recommend?

Our first concern is safety and traveling with our little gringos...which city is safest? Also, what is the best/ cheapest way to rent a house for 5 weeks? Air b&b? Other suggestions?

Thank you for your suggestions and comments!

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Cuernavaca
Cuernavaca
Morelos, Mexico
Garibaldi Night Tour
16 Reviews
from US$46.00*
Free Cancellation
Mexico City in One Day: Teotihuacan...
18 Reviews
from US$79.00*
Free Cancellation
The Colors of Mexico Private Walking...
10 Reviews
from US$75.00*
Free Cancellation
Guaymas, Mexico
Level Contributor
604 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cuernavaca, Oaxaca, Taxco, or Puebla?

Check vbro.com also. Vacation rentals to go. I just checked for Oaxaca and there were a number of places listed. I can´t speak for the other cities you mentioned but I loved Oaxaca and all the things there are to do there. It seemed very safe and the food was delicious. And, if you wanted a beach weekend or more you could always head over (by plane or bus) to Huatulco.

Mentioned in this post
Oaxaca
Oaxaca
Oaxaca, Mexico
Huatulco
Huatulco
Oaxaca, Mexico
2. Re: Cuernavaca, Oaxaca, Taxco, or Puebla?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2017, 02:39
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,947 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cuernavaca, Oaxaca, Taxco, or Puebla?

I've been to three of the four places (Cuernavaca, Taxco, Puebla).

Agree that Taxco is more of a weekend or several day trip.

I was not a huge fan of Cuernavaca -- I found the centro to be traffic congested..

I like Puebla very much.

Mentioned in this post
Cuernavaca
Cuernavaca
Morelos, Mexico
Taxco
Taxco
Guerrero, Mexico
Puebla
Puebla
Puebla, Mexico
Northampton...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cuernavaca, Oaxaca, Taxco, or Puebla?

Thank you for your replies! We're thinking of spending a few days in Mexico City, then perhaps a few in Puebla and then three weeks to a month possibly in Oaxaca.

Edited: 15 April 2017, 10:13
Mentioned in this post
Mexico City
Mexico City
Central Mexico and Gulf Coast, Mexico
Puebla
Puebla
Puebla, Mexico
Oaxaca
Oaxaca
Oaxaca, Mexico
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,986 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cuernavaca, Oaxaca, Taxco, or Puebla?

Coming from someone who's spent more than a month in Oaxaca city in total, I think you'll be happy with that choice. The only change I might suggest would be, maybe a bit more time in Mexico City and Puebla. But of the three, Oaxaca is my favourite.

Especially if the protest camp is finally gone from the Zocalo, which I gather it is.

(No opinion on Cuernavaca or Taxco because I haven't been.)

Edited: 16 April 2017, 00:20
Mentioned in this post
Oaxaca
Oaxaca
Oaxaca, Mexico
Mexico City
Mexico City
Puebla
Puebla
Puebla, Mexico
Zocalo
Zocalo
4,580 Reviews
Mexico City, Mexico
Cuernavaca
Cuernavaca
Morelos, Mexico
Taxco
Taxco
Guerrero, Mexico
Cuernavaca, Mexico
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cuernavaca, Oaxaca, Taxco, or Puebla?

In Cuernavaca you will find the best Spanish Language Schools, check on the TA's reputation of ASLI-Spanish Language Institute.

Also Cuernavaca is well located just 1 hrs from Mexico city where you can spend one or two weekened or join excursions organized by travel companies.

Also one of the weekends you may be able to vist Puebla.

Mentioned in this post
Cuernavaca
Cuernavaca
Morelos, Mexico
Mexico City
Mexico City
Puebla
Puebla
Puebla, Mexico
7. Re: Cuernavaca, Oaxaca, Taxco, or Puebla?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2018, 07:18
Get answers to your questions about Cuernavaca