We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
261 posts
6 reviews
What to do.

Booked a last min trip to Cancun with a friend. Early 30’s, male, let’s say single to open up our options lol. Our first time there. Haven’t had much time to research things to do, we are staying at the Riu Peninsula for 6 nights starting next weekend. What are some popular area attractions, or what do most people do in Cancun? I’m typically a busy body and can’t imagine staying at the resort ALL week. Please offer your best suggestions or what you may have loved doing most while you visited Cancun. Thanks in advance

11 replies to this topic
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,429 posts
50 reviews
1. Re: What to do.

You might take the ferry over to Isla of Mujeres and rent a golf cart for the day. You can drive it all over the roads on the island and bar hop. I would take the ferry out of Puerto Juarez, about a 15 to 20 min ride on the ferry. Golf cart cost $35 to $40 usd for rental until 5 pm. Try to get there by 10 am because if they are busy they are harder to find after 10 am. You will have to leave your DL but pick it up when you return it. Also, zip lining and other activities. Beautiful beaches.

You could also go to 5th Ave in Playa Del Carmen with a street blocked off to walk up and down with shops, restaurants and bars. 1 block over are a ton of beach bars with loungers. Although it’s about 45 min from the hotel zone.

Also, Tulum ruins is further south.

Edited: 22 July 2018, 04:32
denver,co
Level Contributor
1,014 posts
24 reviews
2. Re: What to do.

Do the $125 scuba dive. A little pool training, 2, 35 foot dives by Isla Mujeras. They do it at your resort.

Cocobongo. They will have an excursion desk at your hotel. They can give you advice too.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
26 reviews
3. Re: What to do.

In addition to what is already mentioned Cozumel, Coba, and Chichen Itza you can do as well. Cozumel has world class snorkeling and diving. CI speaks for itself and Coba is another Mayan site where they allow you to climb to the top of the main structure. There’s also xcaret and xplor and a myriad of cenotes to to swim in.

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
8,042 posts
133 reviews
4. Re: What to do.

Ref post #1; I *WOULD NOT* rent a golf cart to go bar hopping on Isla Mujeres. They are really cracking down on drinking and driving (golf carts) and the Mayor has imposed a Zero Tolerance policy. Even if the driver isn't drinking, *if* there is an open alcoholic beverage on the golf cart you can be ticketed, fined, and end up spending some time seeing the inside of a Mexican jail (NOT the way I'm sure you want to spend your time on Isla).

If you want to go bar hopping on Isla, hail a taxi as they are dirt cheap (like $2.50 to go most anywhere on the island) and you won't have to look over your shoulder. Many people enjoy renting golf carts; I just would not do so if you are planning on bar hopping. Anyway..........

Also jon j I'd quickly go online and order a set of Mapchick's Cancun Travel Guides (in map form). They are very inexpensive and will take your time in the area to the next level, as she has great answers to what you are asking about, and will provide all of the details in her guides. If you order on Sunday, you will have them by mid-week, well before your departure next weekend. Good luck.

¡Diviértanse!

Edited: 22 July 2018, 13:01
Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
45,595 posts
5. Re: What to do.

check out the TOP TAB called Things to Do

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attractions-g1508…

Edited: 22 July 2018, 13:03
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
261 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: What to do.

Top tab isn’t available from the mobile device that I can tell. Sorry

Definitely plan on getting a dive in. I’m alrwady certified too. Any chance of runnning into a whale shark on the dive? Might also check out coco bongo but I’m confused, is it a night club or like a “show” you might find in Vegas? It seems kinda expensive. Any tips on coco bongo?

Also plan to check out Isla Mujeres since it’s so close.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,429 posts
50 reviews
7. Re: What to do.

Lonestar, I had no idea they were cracking down in Isla. We were there last year and my husband had a beer the entire time on our cart and we had 4 times ( best of my memory)the police saw us. He was drinking it when we passed him. I was driving and don’t drink. I still love to go bar hoping though. Love finding new spots.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,429 posts
50 reviews
8. Re: What to do.

Lonestar I tried sending you a PM but can’t find the link on your profile. Have a great weekend

Southern California
Level Contributor
15,316 posts
1 review
9. Re: What to do.

Sorry, no diving with the whale sharks, only snorkeling and swimming.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
261 posts
6 reviews
10. Re: What to do.

Any insight on cocobongo??

Reply to: What to do.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted