We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Online Tourist Card - updated August 2019

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
27,827 posts
10 reviews
69 helpful votes
Online Tourist Card - updated August 2019
Save

PLEASE NOTE - this post is "pinned" as a Top Question. If you have something relevant to add, then please go ahead and post on this thread. However, if you have questions, I'd politely ask that you start a new thread, so as to keep this one "clean" and uncluttered.

OK, so, here goes:

Rather than filling out your tourist and Customs cards on your plane or upon arrival at Cancun, you can complete them online and print them out (does NOT need to be in colour or double sided).

For the FMM tourist visa, this cannot be completed until you are within 30 days of your arrival in Mexico. The official, Mexican government website is this one - https://www.inm.gob.mx/fmme/publico/en/solicitud.html

Upon arrival in Cancun, the Customs/Immigration officer will stamp this document and tear part of it off and return it to you. (You might want to score through the paper or otherwise make it easy for them to tear it.) Do NOT lose the part they return to you; you will need to surrender this little chit of paper when it's time to leave Mexico.

If you do lose it, here's information on what you need to do - https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g150807-i8-k11618131-Replacing_a_lost_immigration_form_tourist_card-Cancun_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

FWIW, I know of at least one website that offers to fill this form out for you .... for a fee. It is absolutely NOT necessary to pay anyone to do this for you; it's quick and easy to do yourself. I'm also aware of another website, "cancunairport" that has a form there for you to complete. However, as that is NOT the official, government website, I wouldn't use them myself. ("cancunairport" is, I believe, a transfer company with a slick, and arguably, rather deceptive, website.)

The online Customs Form can be found here - https://siat.sat.gob.mx/PTSC/DPE/ Several months ago, I saw quite a few reports of the printed online not being accepted at the airport but don't recall seeing any such reports recently. I believe that one terminal at CUN no longer requires Customs Forms (presumably they have kiosks but I'm not sure about that). In any event, the online Customs Form cannot be completed until three days or less prior to your trip.

If you prefer to fill out the forms handed to you on the plane or available when you land at the airport, that's still a viable option. I'd suggest that you make sure you have a pen and your passports handy if you want to go this route.

Happy travels to all!

14 replies to this topic
Yucatan Peninsula...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula, Chetumal, Mahahual
Level Contributor
17,684 posts
1. Re: Online Tourist Card - updated August 2019
Save

I was going to add some comments, then thought it better to post the complete information I've been posting for the past few years.

All visitors to Mexico must complete an FMM tourist/immigration card, and MAYBE a Customs form.

The forms are usually handed out on the plane an hour or so before landing. CARRY A PEN so you can complete them while on the plane.

Many forum members have reported that SOME flights with SOME airlines have not had the forms available or not had enough forms for all passengers. If forms are not issued on the plane, forms are available inside the airport upon arrival in Mexico. It just takes a few minutes to complete them before approaching the Immigration counter.

Another option is completing the forms on-line, printing them at home and bringing them with you.

If you want to complete the FMM on-line, here's the official link...

https://www.inm.gob.mx/fmme/publico/en/solicitud.html

It can be completed online within THIRTY (30) days of your arrival date in Mexico. One form per traveller. Print it and bring it with you. Perforate or make a hard crease in the paper so the Immigration officer can tear it easily. There is no fee to get or complete the form online. To complete the on-line form, your passport must be valid for at least 180 days after your arrival date in Mexico.

Upon arrival in Mexico, when you go through Immigration, the Immigration officer returns half of the FMM tourist card to you. Keep it with your passport and DON'T LOSE IT because it must be handed in upon departure from Mexico. If you lose it, you'll have to pay.

The other form you might need is the Customs form which is also available on-line. Here's the link to the Customs website where you can complete the form....

https://siat.sat.gob.mx/PTSC/DPE/

It can be completed online within THREE (3) days of your arrival date in Mexico. Print it and bring it with you. One form per family living at the same address. There is no fee to get or complete the form online. If the form doesn't open in your browser, clear your cookies or try another browser.

NOTE 1: The Customs form is still required at PV, but it has been eliminated from the Customs procedure at some other airport terminals (Cancun Terminal 4, and Mexico City).

Note 2: If using the form for Puerto Vallarta, select "Guadalajara" for Custom of Entry, and select "Al Puerto Vallarta" for Check Point.

You should also be aware of the duty-free limits if you bring cigarettes or alcohol to Mexico. Here's what the Customs form states:

What you may introduce to Mexico without declaring...

Passengers +18 years old, a maximum of 10 packs of cigarettes, 25 cigars or 200 grams of tobacco; Up to three liters of alcoholic beverages and six liters of wine.

Unquote

Edited: 1 year ago
Winnipeg
Level Contributor
769 posts
3 reviews
15 helpful votes
2. Re: Online Tourist Card - updated August 2019
Save

Thank you both for the updates and great information.

3. Re: Online Tourist Card - updated August 2019

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the Tripadvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 09 September 2019, 22:58

4. Re: Online Tourist Card - updated August 2019

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the Tripadvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 09 September 2019, 22:59

Yucatan Peninsula...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,684 posts
5. Re: Online Tourist Card - updated August 2019
Save

Re: Post #3...

That link to the Customs form shows an old form which has incorrect information about the duty-free limits for cigarettes. I haven't checked the form for any other errors.

The current duty-free limits are shown in the official link given in the original post and in Post #1. On the on-line form, when the second check-box (towards the bottom of the page) is clicked, a dialogue box appears with all the information about duty-free limits. I wonder how many people actually read this?

Here's the link to Customs information on the Customs website...

http://omawww.sat.gob.mx/aduanasPortal/Paginas/en/index.html#!/inicio

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,827 posts
10 reviews
69 helpful votes
6. Re: Online Tourist Card - updated August 2019
Save

Thanks for the correction Mister (I've removed my post #3 to avoid confusion).

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,827 posts
10 reviews
69 helpful votes
7. Re: Online Tourist Card - updated August 2019
Save

UPDATE - I visited Cabo last fall and my online form was rejected because I did NOT print it in double-sided format.

I appreciate that this is a Cancun forum and thus not likely read by many people planning travel to Cabo ... but wanted to add this comment, just in case.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
458 posts
107 reviews
85 helpful votes
8. Re: Online Tourist Card - updated August 2019
Save

I had my form rejected for no instructions printed on back a couple years ago at Cancun airport. Fortunately I had filled out forms on the plan also. First time using online form and wanted a backup just in case. Now I just print instructions on the back and haven’t had any issues. Delta didn’t have any forms the last few trips, so online works great.

I have read other travelers having no problem having instructions on a second sheet and staple,also. Might be just getting a picky immigration officer.

BP

Yucatan Peninsula...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,684 posts
9. Re: Online Tourist Card - updated August 2019
Save

Immigration is not that strict at Cancun, holagata.

Single page without the instruction side, black & white, and some visitors have even presented the forms already cut in half -- all have been accepted, but it still depends on the Immigration officer on duty on the day.

Edited: 30 June 2020, 23:54
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
57,291 posts
168 reviews
136 helpful votes
10. Re: Online Tourist Card - updated August 2019
Save

I have not had a problem but I have heard others post similar problems to what you said HolaGata. Good helpful information

Reply to: Online Tourist Card - updated August 2019
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
US$USD
Malaysia
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Malaysia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.