We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maya Air ?

Portsmouth, Ohio
Level Contributor
457 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Maya Air ?

Are they reliable from Cancun to Coz ? How about getting from main terminal to the Maya Air terminal , Some CLEAR intructions sure would help , they is so much MISinformation at the airport from hucksters you cant just ask someone . They will point you to whoever is greasing their pockets . Last time I was their the terminals had undergone big changes and simply catching the Aldo bus was mass chaos IMO.

14 replies to this topic
Virginia
Level Contributor
411 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maya Air ?

I've sliced and diced getting to Coz every which way over the years from the "Bag Drag" from Cun down to PDC for the ferry over to Maya Air from Cun to flying direct to Coz. Long story short, the airlines have it all figured out and they charge accordingly. The prices direct to Coz are right at the point where the PITA factor of trying another route through Cun just isn't worth it. I say pay the extra $ and fly direct to Coz... You can skimp elsewhere as it is SO nice to land in Coz and be at your accommodations in no time with departure being just as easy. No muss, no fuss.

Portsmouth, Ohio
Level Contributor
457 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maya Air ?

I'm already locked into cancun this time . I agree with you in general but some poor folk are on on a budget .

Virginia
Level Contributor
411 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maya Air ?

I think before I'd consider Maya Air and what they charge RT I'd look into the buss to PDC and taking one of the ferry's over. The ferry is only a 40 minute trip. Others can comment but I'm not sure you really save that much time flying Maya to Coz over taking the buss down and the ferry over. Plus the buss and ferry will be much cheaper. Also, "refreshments" are available for purchase aboard the ferry so your vaca starts right then and there!

Edited: 21 April 2017, 05:14
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,639 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maya Air ?

If you have a group, you might do just as well with a private transfer. More comfy and probably quicker than the bus. I don't have a link but there are many out there.

I looked at Amstar. 6 passengers $189 round trip.

Edited: 21 April 2017, 05:24
Arlington WA
Level Contributor
3,831 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maya Air ?

ManitouDan: if it were just you and the missus, I'd say' why sure, of course take the plane. but if we had a bunch we'd go boat every time. Only makes sense.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,734 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maya Air ?

" I'm not sure you really save that much time flying Maya to Coz over taking the buss down and the ferry over." Not an easy question to answer. Much depends on how good your air connection is in Cancun. I used to do it at least once a month prior to moving to Cozumel but in recent years had most frequently used the bus and ferry route , which I don't mind at all.

My favorite time was when the Cancun to Cozumel route was served by Aerocaribe/Aerocozumel. Since they were Mexicana affiliated, they offered thru fares and the bags could be checked from origin to Cozumel And being an airline employee and airplane geek, I always especially enjoyed flying on their FH227 aircraft.

LaPorte, Indiana
Level Contributor
286 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maya Air ?

Agreed. Done both. If flight times jibe, it may be quicker. If not it feels like you sit a long time waiting. I do really enjoy the little plane views

michigan
Level Contributor
500 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maya Air ?

did the back drag last month from cun to czm, then flew back to cun via mayair. Flight took 20mins luggage allowance is 44lbs with 1 free carry on, cost 63 bucks one way, you get off the plane onto a waiting bus then you are driven across to the new airport area (the puddle jumper lol lands at the old runway area) so I think it would like for like only travelling in the opposite direction

Portsmouth, Ohio
Level Contributor
457 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maya Air ?

Well a few posters have chimed in but no one has really answered my question , are the reliable and usually on time ? And anyone with clear directions on getting to Maya Air terminal ?

texas
Level Contributor
35 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Maya Air ?

We have used them over 5x. After you have exited the Cancun airport you walk until you reach Lomas Travel group (white and teal uniforms) they will transport you on a short drive to the small private airport. Flights are on time, you need to make your reservation online before you travel, $63 each person each way with credit card only. If you can book your international airfare with Mayair schedule, that way wait is not too long. I have timed the flight from Cancun to Cozumel, 13 minutes, totally worth it for us; we enjoy the little plane ride. We do not like the ferry in Playa, makes me seasick.

Reply to: Maya Air ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted