We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carnaval 2018

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
133 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Carnaval 2018

We are so excited to be heading back to Coz Feb 5-12, staying at Nah Ha 201! This time we are bringing my sister and brother in law, who have never been to the island. Coincidentally, we will be there for Carnaval. We usually travel to Cozumel in late March-early April, so this will be a new experience for all of us, especially staying in the northern zone. (We usually stay farther back in town but since there are the four of us this time, we decided to treat ourselves to a water view). Any tips on what goes on and what to see during Carnaval would be much appreciated, as well as any comments on Nah Ha. 131 dias!!

4 replies to this topic
Saginaw, Texas
Level Contributor
2,704 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carnaval 2018

I have no tips but I just want to say you are going to love Nah Ha 201. That condo building is a great place as well. Biggest kitchen I've ever cooked in and it's nice to have your own numbered parking spot for the rental car.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,528 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carnaval 2018

The 2018 schedule isn't listed yet but the info here can be helpful at what goes on every year (generally) on the island HOWEVER things change if weather is iffy, and I think you need to be listening to local radio for last minute updates / changes. The big & final parade should be the 13th (which you will miss) but I think there is one Sunday night that's nearly as big. Lots of street dancing all over the downtown area but not to any kind of schedule. My favorite part was the kids activities & Sunday Afternoon kids parade but that ended a few years ago. There were kids activities around the main square back then that made great photo ops but they have moved them away from the area.

www.cozumelinsider.com/Carnavalcal…

They also have at least one Facebook page. As for something to avoid doing it's staking out a place to watch the parade from near the main square. We made that mistake one year & once the parade gets near the area all the people waiting at bars & restaurants push their way front & center to see the parade. It's a mass stampede of rude people who don't care who was there first. We were pushed & shoved enough we felt it wasn't safe to stay there so worked our way south along the waterfront side of the street.

Photos from the 2016 Parades are here. The Superbowl Game was on the Sunday that year & had a major effect on who showed up to participate. It seemed as though dancers showed up but their float & driver didn't etc. Things were very dis organized that night & it was a rather short parade.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskG86HXe

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
133 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carnaval 2018

Thanks very much cicopo! Those pictures are great. We will stay away from the main square on your recommendation during any parades! I would imagine it will be difficult to get around by car on those nights as well.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
133 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carnaval 2018

Thanks mal! I keep going back to the website and looking at the pictures over and over again. Is there night time security around the building? Last year, staying in town, we got the battery stolen out of our rental VW bug.

Reply to: Carnaval 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted