We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public Access for Snorkeling in San Miguel?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Public Access for Snorkeling in San Miguel?

Where can one freely enter (and leave) the water for snorkeling in the town of San Miguel?

I am planning to book an AirBnB in San Miguel and want to choose a place that is a short walk from good snorkeling access.

The more comprehensive the list of access points, the better!

5 replies to this topic
Texas
Level Contributor
1,782 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public Access for Snorkeling in San Miguel?

You don't want to enter in the town of San Miguel. There's a ton of boat traffic, nothing much to see snorkeling there I bet, and the ferry pier is there too. You can walk north maybe 1/2 a mile and enter near or at El Bungelow, Shaka Snack Bar or hmmmm...forgetting the name of the 3rd place but they're right next to each other. There's also a public place right by there where the locals swim and gather and have fun. You'll be expected to buy food or at least a Coke if you use the facilities at at a beach bar. In what part of town are you staying?

Martinez, California
Level Contributor
389 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public Access for Snorkeling in San Miguel?

There's an empty lot between El Cantil condos and the Serviplaya, across the street from Parque Quintana Roo, that we saw a lot of locals fishing and swimming from. I was staying at El Cantil, so I didn't access the water from there, but snorkeled past it a bunch of times, and there were people swimming, so I assume that there are some safe access points. It isn't the best snorkeling in the world right there, but just a hair north (maybe in front of Rolandi's?) it's very cool to snorkel over the ruins of the old dolphinarium. There's a lot of fish to see, and it has an awesome distopian Waterworld-like feel to it.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
312 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public Access for Snorkeling in San Miguel?

mdp... your thinking of Cafe Del mar. There is a public beach in between there and Shaka. My hubby enjoys snorkelling there. Its just north of town. Very close. you will need water shoes to enter the water!

Texas
Level Contributor
1,782 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public Access for Snorkeling in San Miguel?

Thanks...that's it! Also was wondering if the OP is staying south of the plaza or north of the plaza.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,845 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public Access for Snorkeling in San Miguel?

Look at the top righthand corner and click on “Snorkeling on Your r Own”, for more info.

Edited: 29 October 2017, 19:55
Reply to: Public Access for Snorkeling in San Miguel?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted