We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 days to explore Mexico?

Ellicott City...
Level Contributor
25 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
10 days to explore Mexico?

Would like to explore a bit.. def want only Caribbean Coast. Tulum, Cozumel, Cancun.. flying from USA. Not sure how to plan this trip. keep reading no flights from Cancun to Cozumel, but they are very old posts. If still true, should we fly to Cozumel for a few days, then ferry back, rent car to Tulum? or taxi? Looking more for places to retire to than vaca spots. thanks

14 replies to this topic
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,711 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 days to explore Mexico?

All good choices, especially Co\umel but you may want a place in the Yucatan State, such as Merida which has a very large number of expats from US , Canada and many other countries, who have retired in the area. You may find a much lower cost of living.

Edited: 30 October 2017, 05:37
Texas
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 days to explore Mexico?

I think you should see them all except Cancun. Sounds like a great plan to fly into Cozumel for a few days & stay in town (rent a car from Isis). Then ferry over to Playa Del Carmen and rent a car from Isis at their location there. Merida, Valladolid, Tulum, Puerto Morelos are all good choices to explore. I wouldn't waste my time in Cancun but you can fly into Cancun if it's easier/cheaper then take Mayair over to Cozumel. Be aware of weight restrictions on their very small plane. Happy travels!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,711 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 days to explore Mexico?

Good advice, Cancun is the place to skip.

Ellicott City...
Level Contributor
25 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 days to explore Mexico?

We were in Progresso once about 12 years ago, I bet it's been built up by now. How far is Merida from the beach and from the airport?

5. Re: 10 days to explore Mexico?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 30 October 2017, 20:35

Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 days to explore Mexico?

I agree with skipping Cancun. I would also consider planning a trip longer than 10 days if you’re able to. 10 days isn’t really long enough to get to a really good feel for all the areas you’re visiting. I would also check pre vacation on meeting up with retired expats from the areas you’re looking at. Possibly the ones on this board can give you an idea on how to do that. For Playa del Carmen, you could inquire on the Playa Info board.

Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 10 days to explore Mexico?

www.playa.info The people on this board could also make suggestions for the surrounding areas like Cozumel, Tulum, Puerto Morelos etc.

Edited: 30 October 2017, 21:19
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,633 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 10 days to explore Mexico?

Merida is what, 4 hours? Robert would know, I think he lives there now....

Robert?

Texas
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 10 days to explore Mexico?

Just Google Yucatan map.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,633 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 10 days to explore Mexico?

Sure mdp, would have done that. When I was on Coz last week, coincidentally, I asked my local buddy how far. He told me 4 hours, but I wanted ROBERT to confirm.....

I looked at the Yucatan map, no help, really. Its across the top of Mexico, "a long way". Not having access to Google Earth(distance ruler), I guessed and went with what my buddy said.

OK by you?

Reply to: 10 days to explore Mexico?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted