We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gifts for El Coz Staff

Toronto
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Gifts for El Coz Staff

We always like to take little gifts for the staff, does anyone know what they need or would like to get?

We will be there on April 25th. Anyone else that week?

Thanks in advance.

Bellevue

Dallas
Level Contributor
4,695 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gifts for El Coz Staff

We'll be arriving April 22!

We haven't taken anything to the staff at El Coz, because there's so many. When we were staying some at Sol Cabanas (very small place) they liked us to bring them t-shirts from Dallas, which we did.

When you say "staff", who are you referring to? Front desk, waiters, etc.? Although it's AI, people usually tip the waitstaff extra. If you're meaning the front desk staff, I would do the same as a thankyou for their service. I've never seen this particular question asked, so I couldn't speak for anyone else.

Hope to meet you there!

Pat

Mentioned in this post
Dallas
Dallas
Texas
Toronto
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gifts for El Coz Staff

Hi Pat,

I was referring to the wait staff, in Mexico they probably prefer money. In Cuba they ask us to bring them multivitamins, toiletries, long shorts, designer t-shirts and hats that are not available for them to purchase in Cuba. Mexico is totally different they can purchase anything they want.

Hope to see you there. It's our first time in Cozumel we've been to Puerto Vallarta and Playa del Carmen but not Coz.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Gravenhurst, Canada
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gifts for El Coz Staff

If you tip well to those staff members that have provided you with excellent service, there's no need (in my opinion) to bring gifts into the country.

Acknowledging their superior service monetarily allows them to purchase what they want with their tip money.

John from Ontario, Canada.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
30,075 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gifts for El Coz Staff

Personally I would just tip well. I have had people buy presents for me (such as t-shirts) that get put away because they are the wrong size, color, etc.

Money is universal.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
293 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Gifts for El Coz Staff

Yeah like copilot said money is universal . If you were a returning guest and you were buying a gift for a particular person that gave you great service and made an impression on you then perhaps something personal might be nice but otherwise cash should be most convienent , both for you and them . Less for you to pack and easier for them to appreciate .

Dallas
Level Contributor
4,695 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gifts for El Coz Staff

As I previously said, I would tip. In our case with the t-shirts, they requested them. At the time the Texas Rangers had a Mx, or PR player...seems like Rodriguez, can't remember now, it's been so long.... and they wanted Texas t-shirts specifically, so that's why the t-shirts. I'll add, they were still all tipped and generously.

Bellvue, hope we get to meet! My husband is very tall and thin and gray with glasses. I'm much shorter, light brown hair - after snorkeling/sun, it's blondish brown. ha-ha

We're trying to have a little TA member get together sometime there to meet. Check out the post "El Coz April 15-30th. I will PM you later.

Pat

Mentioned in this post
Texas
Texas
United States
Grand Haven,MI.
Level Contributor
599 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gifts for El Coz Staff

O-Freak...don't forget usw, we leave on the 23rd

Wally :o}

Dallas
Level Contributor
4,695 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gifts for El Coz Staff

Wally, I would never forget you. Just trying to get this going again, wanting to pick a place and time. Our flight lands at 1:00 on 22nd! I'm supposed to meet "the legend", he promised me a coco-loco, I hope the coconut hasn't already been used. tee-hee...I guess the alcohol would kill the germs.

I'm getting more excited as the days go by! I guess you're ready to leave! Everyone will know me, I'll be the one with the BIG GRIN on my face!

oz
Level Contributor
4,472 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gifts for El Coz Staff

i always tip very well but i still like to bring little goodie bags. i make them up before i leave.they are pretty little cloth drawstring bags. i load one up with t-light candles. another will be with lip balms, candies ect. if they dont like the items they can give it to someone else. hey for you people meeting up at el coz make sure you tell (name cant be said on ta ,because thread will be pulled) that i sure wish i could of changed my flight !!!!! if only the flying monkeys were strong enough to fly me there !!! have a coco loco and a banana monkey for me !

WV
Level Contributor
3,614 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gifts for El Coz Staff

Intriguing! I can only assume you are meeting the knowledgeable Mr. M. Wish he had been there when we visited; I would have loved to meet and talk to him. Tell Antonio that she who thought he was the "rescuer" says hi and that I can't wait to take that shore dive that the weather spoiled for us.