We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking liquor back to Canada

Ottawa_ON
Level Contributor
133 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Taking liquor back to Canada

Hi,

First post, please be patient.

We have been to Cuba a few times and you can bring just about anything you want onto the plane with you coming home.

If I want to bring liquor back from Mexico to Canada, can I bring it in carry on if I do not buy it at the Duty Free shop?

i.e. I buy some tequila in Playa del Carmen. How do I get it home?

Thanks,

D

London, Canada
Level Contributor
120 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Taking liquor back to Canada

Dan, If you have to change planes you will have a problem. If you buy or have carry-on liquor from duty-free you will have to put them in your checked baggage when you change planes and re-enter security check. Had to change planes in Toronto on a recent vacation and had to re-check my duty free in a small carry-on. I put "fragile" stickers on, but they still managed to break two bottles.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,731 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Taking liquor back to Canada

duty free isnt all that bad. for comparison, a 40 of bacardi white was around 10 bucks. im sure you could save yourself a dollar or maybe even 2 by buying elsewhere, but is the hassle and the potential of having a broken bottle in your checked luggage worth 2 bucks?

toronto
Level Contributor
26 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Taking liquor back to Canada

I bought a 1.14 litre bottle of Bacardi at Wal Mart for $8.52 cents American. If I had of bought two it would have been $17.04

Compare that to the Mexican Duty free price of $22.00 IF you buy two at a time. I am not sure what the single bottle price was as I didn't look further.

Hey, either of them save you over $20 from the grasp of the evil Canadian Government taxed to death price so both are good.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,731 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Taking liquor back to Canada

^^^ thats a nice price!

Huntsville, Canada
Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Taking liquor back to Canada

my wife and l go to mexico twice a winter when we purchase booze on or off resort we wrap it in bubble wrap and put it in out check luggage. remember same rules as in canada for carry on, and then we lock our luggage. P. S. if you like kahlua we have found the best prices are in the grocery stores 10us.-1 liter. good luck ! norm.

toronto
Level Contributor
26 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Taking liquor back to Canada

Actually it's not the same rules as in Canada.

Mexican law permits a maximum of two unopened bottles of booze in your carry on. I know it doesn't make sense that they would confiscate a bottle of water yet allow 2 litres or booze but they do.

You can consult the website for the mexican airports. It lists that exception under it's prohibited items list.

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,883 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Taking liquor back to Canada

We came back last weekend, through security with two bottles of water plus our pouches of 100ml liquids not even checked.

You are allowed to bring back 1.14 litre of liquor (or wine only 1.5 l.) each. We had purchased 2 .750's of Tequila and 1 l of rum at Wal*Mart and packed them well in our suitcases. Then at duty free at the airport I bought another 1 l. of Xtabentun (couldn't resist) so had a total of 3.50 l. vs our allowed 2.28 l. Be sure to record it on your customs delcaration that you'll get on the plane when returning to Canada. The Customs Officer just said "we're not charging you for the extra today". The paper work is too much for them for the little extra, especially that our total purchases that we were bringing back was less than C$100 but if you don't tell them you have extra and you get searched and they find it then you'll be in big kaka.

18. Re: Taking liquor back to Canada

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 07:20