We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do you return to a favorite resort or try new ones?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
378 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Do you return to a favorite resort or try new ones?

So...do you return to a favorite resort or try new ones? What about trying different areas of Mexico? Other countries altogether?

We have done resorts that are seperate from everything else and liked them (GBPA and the GBPT). Then we did 1 in Playacar and liked it (Riu). Now I want to book again but I find myself torn as to what to do, lol. It is cheapest to book the west coast of Mexico, which I have never been to. Overall I prefer Mexico for a land based vacation because I like the people so much:)

If $ wasn't an issue then I would definately go back to the Playacar area. This trip will be for girls in their 20s and for some of them it is their first trip of this kind.

Comments, advice, rants or raves? :P Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Playacar Palace
Playacar Palace
427 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Tulum Coba Snorkel tour Premium...
from US$109.00*
Free Cancellation
Chichen Itzá Ik Kil Cenote Valladolid...
3 Reviews
from US$85.00*
Free Cancellation
Tulum, Grand Cenote and Snorkel Tour...
from US$75.00*
Free Cancellation
Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do you return to a favorite resort or try new ones?

We've done both- When we find a place we like, we love going back, but also like to try new places. The only thing that doesn't change is our destination ;-).

Richmond, BC
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do you return to a favorite resort or try new ones?

I can see that you have not tried any Palladium resorts - you should try any of the Grand Palladium hotels in Mayan Riviera, they have a very good entertainment, great food and they have very nice spa facilities with a lot of free services (except massages and other special personal treatments you can use all the facilities for free - a very nice way to spend a beginning of the evening).

But I would not say that Nuevo Vallarta (an area close to the Puerto Vallarta which is located separately from the town and is a very nice 22 km half moon shaped beach facing sunset) is less fun the the Riviera Maya area. The ocean is not that blue as in the Cancun area but the sand is very nice there, they have a few Riu's that are usually moderately priced and there are no rocks in the ocean, nice medium sized waves to play in. It is the best place to get a kayak or a catamaran as it is easier to get off shore. There is usually a lot of younger people at Riu's in Nuevo Vallarta (when searched sometimes you have to use Puerto Vallarta as a destination and sometimes Nuevo Vallarta depends on the web-site).

Mentioned in this post
Mayan Riviera Tours- Day Tours
Mayan Riviera Tours- Day...
105 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Nuevo Vallarta
Nuevo Vallarta
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
Riviera Maya
Riviera Maya
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Quebec, Canada
Level Contributor
1,810 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do you return to a favorite resort or try new ones?

Jo - it depends what you are looking for. I have been to Cuba (do no wish to go back), Dominican Republic (Puerto Plata - do not wish to go back) but one of my favourites is Puerto Vallarta! love that city! beautiful vistas where the jungle meets the ocean, tons of things to do ie: restaurants, anything from taco stands to 5* dining, the boardwalk along the ocean, tons of shopping - it's beautiful there but it does not have the beaches that the Maya has. We (family of 4 with two teen boys) are going back to the Viva Wyndham because the boys pay special rates up to the age of 17!!! The resort is not a 5 star for sure but a very solid 3.5. We love travelling with our kids but once we are on our own we will be exploring other parts of the world. Depends on what you want and what your budget is!!

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Puerto Plata
Puerto Plata
Dominican Republic
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
Maya Tulum Resort
Maya Tulum Resort
414 Reviews
Tulum, Mexico
somewhere
Level Contributor
3,075 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do you return to a favorite resort or try new ones?

We've begun to try new places. We started in Cancun, then went to Puerto Morales and this time we're doing Puerto Aventuras. There is always a brand new resort that is running some kind of grand opening special that allows us to stay at a higher end resort at prices we wouldn't normally pay for a vacation.

We love the resorts we have stayed at, but can't turn down some of the deals we are finding.

Good luck deciding where you want to stay. That's usually the most fun! Researching new places to decide what fits with your vacation plans! :)

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Puerto Aventuras
Puerto Aventuras
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Chicago 'burbs
Level Contributor
50 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do you return to a favorite resort or try new ones?

We've done several other winter vacations recently -- Barbados, St. Martin & Martinique; Hawaii... but we always seem to come back to Playacar. It's just such an easy vacation -- nothing to worry about, not too much to have to pack (cruises are horribly packing intensive) and the cost is reasonable (especially compared to Hawaii, which we loved, but it was NOT a cheap trip and way too much time on a plane!). The Riveria Maya is only four hours away by plane, the same time zone and the best beaches, in our opinion.

We'll keep doing other trips, just to explore more, but Playacar will always be our "return" spot.

Mentioned in this post
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
Martinique
Martinique
Caribbean
Playacar Palace
Playacar Palace
427 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Riviera Maya
Riviera Maya
Quintana Roo, Mexico
b.c. canada
Level Contributor
234 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Do you return to a favorite resort or try new ones?

we like to try different places although i would go back to playa del carmen or cabo sans lucas if we got a good deal,we have Huatulco,Bucerias and ixtapa on our list of to go to,s.........we went to punta cana 2 years ago,the beaches are beautiful........this march I am going to cuba with my best friend and my sister,my sister has never been out of the country,has never even been on a plane.lol........should be interesting

Mentioned in this post
Huatulco
Huatulco
Oaxaca, Mexico
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,069 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do you return to a favorite resort or try new ones?

There are islands I love (Jamaica, St. Lucia, St. Martin) that I am happy to return to again and again. And we prefer to go back to resorts/hotels we know we enjoy rather than waste money on one that just might not deliver.

When we got to the Yucatan, it is more about convenience (inexpensive, fast, non stop flights). We have a couple of resorts we really enjoy and have been to several that get great ratings on TA but that we did not care for so not really interested in wasting more time and money on more of the same just to be disappointed again.

We generally head there for a long weekend and we don't like to be around kids so we will almost always book an adult only AI. Though there are many to choose from, we have been to enough now to know what we like so we would rather return to a sure thing.

Mentioned in this post
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
378 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do you return to a favorite resort or try new ones?

I guess what I love about Playacar is: short non stop flights and affordable.

For the time frame I am looking at the west coast is much cheaper but I am hesitant to go there without my DH, I kind of want to experience that with him.

I hate long flights, ugh! I have horrible flights in April to go on a cruise (a red eye with a stop). I hate wasting so much time flying!

I guess ideally what I am wanting is a PDC or Playacar hotel with a great flight. I'm not sure that I can find what I want within my budget so we might wind up in the PV area just for affordability. If we do go back to an area I have been to I think we will be looking at staying at a new hotel. The "budget Riu" is priced higher than hotels of much higher ratings so I think it will be a no brainer to pick the better place for the lower price. It will mean trying something new vs going back to somewhere I am familiar with but that is life:)

Mentioned in this post
Playacar Palace
Playacar Palace
427 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Canterbury, CT
Level Contributor
333 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do you return to a favorite resort or try new ones?

My husband and I return to Playacar almost every winter and have tried a new resort each time. We always pick a 5-star AI, do a little research ahead of time to make sure the resort has what we want (a dive shop is a must!), then book it! We've never been disappointed - each has its own charm. We love the area, love the people, love Mexico. We've also stayed at resorts in Cancun, Akumal & Tulum and at AI's in the Dominican Republic (LaRomana and Punta Cana areas).

Mentioned in this post
Playacar Palace
Playacar Palace
427 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Akumal
Akumal
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
10. Re: Do you return to a favorite resort or try new ones?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 16:28